How to Change Your Name in Kentucky if You're Not Married or Divorced

By Kelly Pucci

Almost any adult who resides in Kentucky and who is not married or divorced can legally change his name. In fact, the laws of Kentucky provide that "Any person at least eighteen ... years of age may have his name changed by the District Court of the county in which he resides." However, no Kentucky resident can change his name for the purpose of stealing another person's identify, to evade prosecution for a crime or to avoid a legal obligation.

Step 1

Go to the Kentucky courthouse in the county in which you live and ask the clerk for form AOC-295, "Petition to Change Name" form. If you have a computer with Internet access, you can use the interactive "Petition to Change Name" form on the Kentucky Court of Justice website.

Step 2

Fill out the "Petition to Change Name" form. You will need to state your original name, the new name that you want to use, your date of birth, your place of birth, your address and the reason you want to change your name. You can either sign and date the form or wait until you are in the presence of a notary public. The laws of Kentucky do not require you to sign the form in the presence of a notary public if your signature on the form matches your signature on your government-issued ID.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

Bring the "Petition to Change Name" form and your government-issued photo ID, such as a U.S. Passport or your Kentucky Driver's license, to the office of a notary public. In the presence of the notary public, sign the petition using your original name and add the date. The notary public will verify your identity and notarize your signature. You will need to pay the notary public for his services.

Step 4

File the notarized "Petition to Change Name" form with the clerk of the Commonwealth of Kentucky Court of Justice in the county in which you live. The clerk will tell you the current cost in your county for filing the petition and how long it will take the court to grant your name change.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
How to Apply to Register a Trade Name in Arizona


Related articles

What if I Didn't Request a Name Change in Divorce Papers in Maryland?

In a divorce, you may want to change your last name back to your maiden name. However, if you forgot to request a name change in your divorce papers, or you simply changed your mind after your divorce became final, you can still request a name change in Maryland. You must complete the appropriate form and receive a court order for the name change to be recognized legally.

Legal Ways to Change a Child's Last Name in Missouri

The state of Missouri allows minors to legally change their names, but the procedure is more complex and time-consuming than adult name changes. To complete the name change, you must file certain petitions and consent forms, as well as publish notice of the name change in a general circulation newspaper for a set period of time. In most cases, and always when one or both parents contest the name change, a hearing is necessary.

How to Register a DBA Name So No One Else Can Use It

Companies and individuals can operate under fictitious, or assumed, names called DBAs. DBA stands for "doing business as" -- and state laws regarding DBAs vary. It is a misdemeanor crime in Missouri and Michigan to conduct business using an unregistered DBA. Other states, such as Tennessee, do not always require you to register assumed names.

Doing the right thing has never been easier. Name Change

Related articles

How to Write a Will in Ohio

A will lists your final instructions for the distribution of your assets and personal belongings after your death. The ...

How to Legalize a Business Name in Louisiana

In Louisiana, any time you use a name besides your own (or your business's registered name) for business, you have to ...

How to Open a Sole Proprietorship Business in Florida

Compared to other business structures, sole proprietorships are relatively straightforward to set up. A sole ...

Name Change for a Minor in Minnesota

A guardian or next of kin, such as a parent, must petition for a name change on behalf of a minor. The process is not ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED