How to Change Your Name if a Marriage Certificate Does Not Have Your Married Name

By Brenna Davis

Most people who change their name when they marry change their name on their marriage license, which makes the name-change process much easier. If, however, you didn't initially change your name and now you want to, you'll typically need to file a legal petition, asking for a name change. Name-change laws vary from state to state, so consult the law in your area before attempting to change your name.

Step 1

Ask the clerk of court in the county where you reside for a name change petition. Different states use different courts to process name changes. Generally speaking, you should ask the court clerk in the same court where you obtained your marriage license.

Step 2

Fill out the form completely and return it to the clerk along with a certified copy of your marriage certificate. In some states, providing a copy of your marriage license may absolve you from the requirement to advertise your name change. Pay the filing fee.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

Advertise your name change in a local paper if you are required to do so. The clerk will generally tell you if you must advertise the name change when you return the name change petition. After the name change has been advertised, the clerk will forward the petition to a judge to sign a name change order.

Step 4

Give the name change order to your state's office of vital records, Social Security Administration and Department of Motor Vehicles. This will complete your legal name change, but you must still change your name with your financial institutions to avoid confusion and difficulty accessing your accounts.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
Name Change Requirements in the State of Illinois


Related articles

How do I Rename a California LLC?

If you've already gone through the process of registering your LLC with the state of California, then you should already know the steps you need to take to rename the company. Doing so is simply a matter of repeating part of the registering process and filing a certificate of amendment.

LLC Business Name Change

The legal name of an LLC is the one submitted to the state on the Articles of Organization. It is the name that must be used for paying taxes, applying for licenses and permits, and for other legal functions. An LLC can amend its Articles of Organization to reflect a new name, and must inform state and federal agencies of the change. Alternatively, an LLC can simply register a fictitious name under which it conducts business.

How to Change Your First Name Legally

The process for legally changing your first name is the same as for legally changing your last name. It differs somewhat from state to state, but in all states you need to ask permission from the court and obtain an order from a judge. This order allows you to change your birth certificate and other documents. In some states, you must also undergo a police check before beginning the name change process, as some people are prohibited from legally changing their name, for example, people on the sex offenders register.

Doing the right thing has never been easier.

Related articles

Legal Name Changes in Texas After a Divorce

If you changed your name when you married, you get to choose whether or not you want to change your name back when you ...

How to Change Your Name to Your Maiden Name Post Divorce in New Mexico

The state of New Mexico allows you to legally change your name back to your maiden name, even if you didn't request the ...

How to Change the Name on a Social Security Card After a Birth Certificate Was Changed

Prior to changing your name on your Social Security card, you must first file all the appropriate paperwork to change ...

The Law for Resuming Your Maiden Name in Ohio

In Ohio, you do not have to change your name when you marry, but if you do change it, the married name becomes your ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED