How to Change the Name on a Social Security Card in Minnesota

By Beverly Bird

Whether you’ve married, divorced or you’ve legally changed your name for another reason, the change isn’t completely official until you amend all your identification to match it. Unlike some states, Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services does not require an updated Social Security card to change the name on your driver’s license. However, other government and private agencies might, so it’s usually a good idea to change the name on your Social Security card.

Step 1

Gather documentation to prove your old identity, as well as your new one. Your existing driver’s license, Minnesota DVS identification card or your passport are acceptable forms of proof of your old name. You’ll also need documentation confirming your new legal name. If you’ve married, this would be your marriage certificate. If you’ve divorced, use your decree. If you petitioned the court for a name change for another reason, the court order is acceptable. All these documents must be certified originals – the ones you received from the court. If you petitioned the court to change your name, you’ll need one more document, something in addition to your name change order. For example, if you received a new school ID card or employee ID card after your name change, and if it is current, this would suffice. You can also use an updated voter's registration card.

Step 2

Access Form SS-5 from the Social Security Administration. You can call 1-800-772-1213 and Social Security will mail one to you. Alternatively, you can also stop by any Social Security office and request one. Form SS-5 is also available online as a PDF document from the Social Security Administration’s website.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

Complete Form SS-5. If you accessed the PDF document from Social Security’s website, you can type in your information and print out a completed copy. Form SS-5 is only one page, but it may appear intimidating at first, with numerous boxes to fill in and to check off. Use the first section to state the new name you want to appear on your card, as well as your given name at birth and any other names you’ve ever used. Section 2 asks for your existing Social Security number. Sections 3 through 5 ask for your date of birth, place of birth and your citizenship status. You don’t have to complete Sections 6 and 7 if you don’t want to; these refer to your race and ethnicity. Tell Social Security your sex in Section 8. Identify your mother in Section 9 and your father in Section 10. The remainder of the form includes a few questions about your existing Social Security card and your contact information, such as your current address and phone number.

Step 4

Take your completed Form SS-5 and the certified copies of your documentation to your local Social Security office. If you live in the greater Twin Cities metropolitan area, you must go to the Social Security Card Center at 1811 Chicago Avenue, Suite 2, in Minneapolis. You can also mail your form and documents to the Social Security Administration, but because you must provide certified copies of documents which you can’t easily replace if lost, you might want to take them personally to the Social Security Card Center or office. An employee will review your documentation and authorize a new card, which you should receive in the mail within a week or so.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
Does a Marriage Certificate Qualify as a Name Change for Passport Requirements?



Related articles

LLC Business Name Change

The legal name of an LLC is the one submitted to the state on the Articles of Organization. It is the name that must be used for paying taxes, applying for licenses and permits, and for other legal functions. An LLC can amend its Articles of Organization to reflect a new name, and must inform state and federal agencies of the change. Alternatively, an LLC can simply register a fictitious name under which it conducts business.

How to Use My Maiden Name Even Though I Legally Changed It to My Married Name

Whether you can use your maiden name when it is no longer your legal name depends on how you want to use it. In many areas of life, there is no requirement to use your legal name. For example, you could use virtually any name on social media sites without anyone even knowing it isn’t your legal name. However, this informal use will not work for every situation since most banks and government agencies require you to use your legal name. For these uses, you must legally change your name.

How to Change the Name on a Social Security Card After a Birth Certificate Was Changed

Prior to changing your name on your Social Security card, you must first file all the appropriate paperwork to change your name at the state level. Once your birth certificate reflects your new name, you may then contact the Social Security Administration and proceed with having it placed on your Social Security card.

Doing the right thing has never been easier. Name Change

Related articles

Legal Name Changes in Texas After a Divorce

If you changed your name when you married, you get to choose whether or not you want to change your name back when you ...

Can You Change Your Name After Getting a Green Card?

A United States green card, also known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card, is a document issued by the office of the ...

How to Legally Change Your Name in San Diego County

If you are an adult residing in San Diego, California, you can legally change your name, but you’ll need to follow ...

How to Change Your Name if a Marriage Certificate Does Not Have Your Married Name

Most people who change their name when they marry change their name on their marriage license, which makes the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED