How to Change Your Name on Your SS Card in Georgia After a Marriage

By Jeff Franco J.D./M.A./M.B.A.

If you recently got married in Georgia and filled out your marriage license using your husband’s last name, the name change is legally effective at the time your marriage license is issued. You’ll probably want to change your last name on your important documents, such as your driver’s license and Social Security card. As long as you have a copy of your marriage license and you submit the required paperwork to have your SS card updated, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will send you a new card.

Step 1

Obtain the original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate. This document will provide the SSA with proof of your last name before and after the marriage. If you don’t have an original or certified copy of the marriage license, you can obtain one from the Georgia probate court that issued the license or by sending a written request to: Georgia Department of Vital Records 2600 Skyland Drive NE Atlanta, Georgia 30319

Step 2

Gather documents that prove your identity and citizenship. To prove your identity, the SSA will accept a driver’s license, state-issued identity card or U.S. passport. For purposes of proving citizenship, you can use your U.S. passport, birth certificate or a certificate of citizenship or naturalization.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More

Step 3

Fill out the application for a new Social Security card. You can obtain this form on the SSA website. You’ll need to enter some personal information, such as your date and location of birth, Social Security number and current citizenship status.

Step 4

File the application and supporting documents with the SSA. You can mail your paperwork to any Social Security office, or you can hand-deliver the application if you live near a Social Security office.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
Does a Marriage Certificate Qualify as a Name Change for Passport Requirements?



Related articles

How to Change a Name After Marriage in Maine

Changing your last name at marriage is a time-honored tradition for women in Maine and other U.S. states. Changing your name after marriage in Maine is a two-step process. It requires filing forms with both the U.S. Social Security Administration and the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles to ensure that both your federal Social Security information and your state driver's license display your new name.

How to Change a Name After Marriage in Colorado

Colorado state law is based on English common law, which allows anyone to change his name without legal process. Colorado has modified this legal principle; in many cases, a court order is required to change your name. If you change your last name to your spouse's last name because of marriage, you avoid the need for a court order. You will have to comply with the requirements of various issuing authorities to replace your identity documents with new versions that reflect your new last name.

Do I Need to Change the Name on My Green Card If I Get Married?

The United States Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) issues the Permanent Resident Card, or I-551, informally known as the "green card," to those immigrants holding resident status in the United States. The card carries vital information as well as a photograph; in the case of a name change due to marriage you must apply for a new card.

Doing the right thing has never been easier.

Related articles

How to Change a Name After Marriage in North Carolina

Many women traditionally assume the surname of their husbands after marriage. If you reside in North Carolina, the ...

How to Change a Name on a SIN Card

Your Social Insurance Number is the number you need to work and collect government benefits, such as a pension, in ...

How to Change a Name After a Marriage in Illinois

Illinois state laws allow a person who has recently married to change his name without formally petitioning the courts; ...

How to Change My Last Name in My Citizenship Papers

You need to change your last name on your U.S. citizenship certificate if you have a new last name due to marriage, ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED