How to Get Child Custody If a Parent Refuses to Sign the Papers

By Brenna Davis

Because child custody disputes can be contentious and stressful, family courts encourage parents to settle their disputes on their own. This not only shields the child from the stress of a custody fight, but it also allows the parents the autonomy to work out a custody plan that works with both parents' schedules and the child's needs. When one parent refuses to sign a proposed parenting plan or settle a custody dispute, however, you will need to use the court system to resolve your custody issues.

Petitioning for Custody

If the other parent won't sign a custody agreement, you must petition the court to settle the matter. In many states, it is the family or superior court that handles custody proceedings. File your petition for child custody or visitation in the county where your child lives. In many states, you can access the forms you need on the court's website. The clerk may also be able to provide you with a copy of the form. Most states require that you include a parenting plan, which itemizes your proposed custody and visitation schedule, with your petition for custody.

Types of Custody

Legal custody governs who makes decisions regarding the child, and many states have a presumption in favor of joint legal custody. Physical custody governs with whom the child lives. When one parent has sole physical custody, the other parent almost always gets some variety of visitation. In your petition, you should address both legal and physical custody. In cases where both parents have been actively involved with the child, many states require judges to consider joint custody.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Custody Hearings

After the filing of your petition, if you and your ex are still unable to agree on custody, the court will schedule a trial. The court may order you to attend mediation or counseling before the trial. Judges in all 50 states issue custody orders according to the child's best interests. Judges consider a variety of factors such as each parent's parenting competence and the relationship each parent has with the child. You must demonstrate why the custody plan you have proposed is in your child's best interest. For example, if you are petitioning for sole physical custody, you must present evidence that the child will benefit more from living with you or that the other parent is not equipped to be the child's primary caretaker.


If there is a previous order in your custody case and your ex will not agree to change the custody plan, you may seek a custody modification. Most states require that you demonstrate a change in the child's circumstances that warrants the custody change. Explain the changed circumstances in your modification petition. Examples of changes include one parent's move, a change in the child's emotional state or a change in one parent's ability to parent.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Petition for Sole Custody in New York


Related articles

How to Divorce & Give Up Custody

Life is full of hard choices, especially during a divorce in which property issues frequently prove less emotional than questions about child custody. If you decide that it is in your children's best interests to live with their other parent, you can waive custody in a divorce settlement agreement or in court filings.

How to Get Full Custody of a Child in Texas

If you cannot agree on custody terms with your child's other parent and you desire full custody of your child, you will need to be prepared to engage in a custody battle. . Obtaining full custody in Texas is difficult as there is a presumption that joint custody will be most beneficial to the child. Before you begin, determine if you already have a custody order regarding your child. If you have not previously filed for custody you will need to seek a new custody order with the court. If you already have an custody order, you will seek to modify that order.

Illinois Visitation Rights

In Illinois, when you divorce your spouse, the court will establish a custody and visitation order as part of the divorce decree. Typically, visitation rights are granted to the parent with whom the child does not live most of the time; however, visitation will only be awarded if it is in the child's best interests. Although you can leave it up to the court to decide your family's custody and visitation arrangement, you also have the right to create your own parenting plan, if you and your spouse agree.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Filing for Child Custody in Maryland

When parents divorce, the court makes custody decisions and includes them in the final divorce decree. A Maryland court ...

What a Judge Looks at in Custody Hearing in Illinois

Custody disputes may be a highly contentious and emotional issue for recently divorced parents. In making a custody ...

How to Change My Child's Last Name If I Have Sole Custody

Your legal right to change your child’s last name does not depend on your custody arrangement. Even if you have sole ...

Can Physical Custody Be Changed for Children When Parents Have Joint Legal Custody?

In many instances, it is possible for parents to change their children’s physical custody arrangement when the parents ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED