How to Get Child Custody Rights Revoked in Arkansas

By Brenna Davis

Revoking custody rights -- often a part of terminating parental rights altogether -- is a serious legal move that should be reserved for extreme cases of child abuse or neglect. Arkansas law prioritizes the best interests of the child above all other considerations and courts will only revoke custody rights if the judge feels it is in the child's best interest to do so. Custody rights may be revoked temporarily while a parent gets treatment or, in cases of chronic abuse, a parent's rights to her child may be terminated if she shows no hope of improvement.

Types of Custody

The term "custody" can mean a variety of things, and there is a distinction in Arkansas law between legal and physical custody. Legal custody refers to decision-making authority over the child, and legal custody may be shared or fall to one parent. Physical custody governs who the child lives with, and may be joint or sole. In sole custody arrangements, the non-custodial parent typically still gets visitation. When custody rights are revoked, parents typically lose rights to physical and legal custody as well as visitation. If the revocation is temporary, the parent who lost her rights may be granted supervised visitation a few hours a week.

Filing the Petition

Because custody revocations can be complex proceedings, it's wise to hire a family law attorney to represent you. You can request revocation of custodial rights as part of your divorce proceeding. If you are already divorced or were never married, however, you must file a petition to modify your custody arrangement with the clerk of the family court in the county where you reside. This petition will only temporarily revoke custodial rights, but is typically a necessary prerequisite for permanently revoking rights. If you have previously filed a temporary revocation petition, or if you can prove chronic abuse, file a petition to terminate parental rights instead. You must serve the other parent with a copy of the petition. The clerk will schedule a hearing after you file the petition and pay the filing fee.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Considerations for Revocation

There is a presumption in Arkansas law that having time with both parents is in a child's best interests. However, if one parent has abused the child, engaged in criminal behavior or is addicted to drugs or alcohol, this creates a rebuttable presumption that it is not in the best interests of the child to live with that parent. The parent asking for termination of rights must then show it is also not in the child's best interests to visit with the parent. You should point to any danger posed to the child, any negative changes in the child's behavior when she visits the other parent and other factors that make it clear the environment provided by the other parent is a problematic one.

Hearing for Revocation

At the revocation hearing, you should call witnesses and submit evidence that support your case that it is not in the best interests of your child for your ex to have custodial rights. Communications with your ex, police reports, information from mental health professionals, your child's school and medical records, and other documents that reveal a problematic relationship between your child and your ex may all be helpful.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Stop Visitation Rights by the Biological Father in the State of Kentucky


Related articles

The Father of My Child Has My Son & Won't Give Him to Me, and Neither of Us Have Custody

If you were never married to your child’s father, you probably have legal custody without realizing it, even if you don’t have a court order. If you were married but have separated, you also have legal custody without a court order. However, even with legal custody, there may be difficulties in forcing your child's father to return him to you.

New York Statute for Visitation

The best interests of the child is paramount in determinations of child custody in New York. To that end, it is preferable that parents reach a voluntary agreement instead of going to court. However, if they cannot reach an agreement, the court will make a determination as to both legal and physical custody, with the nonresidential parent generally provided visitation rights as part of sole custody orders. Further, the court may be petitioned when issues with visitation arise and the parents cannot agree.

Custody & Addiction

A parent's substance abuse can have extremely negative consequences for children and family courts around the U.S. recognize this. Many states have a rebuttable presumption that it is not in a child's best interests to reside with an addicted parent. A rebuttable presumption is one in which an accused parent can rebut an assertion of substance abuse by explaining the addiction is in the past, does not affect the child or does not exist. The parent struggling with addiction must prove they can provide a safe home for the child and if they cannot, may be denied custody and visitation. If either you or your ex struggles with addiction, obtaining treatment is the first step toward establishing a healthier environment for your children.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

Terminating Visitation Due to Incarceration

If your ex-spouse ends up in jail, he can’t have normal visitation with your children, but he doesn’t necessarily lose ...

California Child Custody Laws About Moving Away

California, like other states, considers the best interests of the child when making custody determinations. Judges ...

Checklist for Full Custody Hearings in Ohio

In Ohio, each parent has equal rights to the child and courts almost always give visitation to the non-custodial ...

Child Custody & Loss of Parental Rights From Drug Abuse

When a parent struggles with drug addiction, his parental rights may be affected. In some cases, child protection ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED