Children's Rights in Estate Wills

By Heather Frances J.D.

Your state’s laws determine who inherits your assets if you don’t have a valid will when you die; your spouse and children are among the first to receive property from your estate. However, you can change this “default” distribution scheme by creating a will describing how you want your property to be distributed. Your will can give inheritance rights to your children, though you cannot disinherit your spouse under most circumstances, even if you want to give his share to your children.

Surviving Spouses

If you leave a valid will, meaning a will you created under your state’s laws, its terms determine how your property is distributed, so you can use your will to give your children the right to inherit from your estate. However, your state’s laws likely will not allow you to completely disinherit your spouse. A surviving spouse is generally entitled to inherit a portion of your estate, called an elective share, no matter what your will says, though the amount of this share varies between states. For example, New York law gives surviving spouses the right to receive $50,000 or one-third of the estate, whichever is greater, even if that means children receive a smaller share than provided in the will.

Minor Children

In your will, you can name minor or adult children as beneficiaries, giving them inheritance rights. However, minor children cannot legally manage their inheritance until they reach adulthood, so an adult must manage your minor child’s share in the meantime. Though the exact process varies by state, large inheritances may require the court to appoint someone to manage the inheritance for the child while small inheritances may allow an adult -- typically a relative -- to receive the money on behalf of the child under the Uniform Gifts to Minors Act or the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act. You can avoid confusion by naming a trustee for your minor child in your will and establishing a trust to hold the inheritance until he reaches an age you establish in the trust documents or your will.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Pretermitted Heirs

State laws recognize that you may have additional children after you create your initial will, but you may not remember to change it after these children are born. Similarly, it is possible for parents to simply forget to list a child in the will though they did not intend to disinherit the child. Thus, pretermitted heir statutes say that a child who was not specifically disinherited in your will can assert a right to receive an equal portion of your estate as your other children received. For example, if you have four children but only list three in your will, your fourth child has a right to inherit the same share as the other three. If you wish to disinherit the fourth child, you must specifically state that wish in your will.

Contesting the Will

Your children may contest your will if they believe it is invalid, meaning any of your children can bring a lawsuit in your state’s courts to challenge the will’s validity. For example, a child could believe you were under undue influence when you signed the will because you left a large portion of your estate to a relative who was present when you signed the document. If the will is declared invalid, it may be completely tossed out, leaving your family to inherit shares of your estate based on the inheritance structure in your state’s laws. To discourage challenges to your will, you can include an "in terrorem" clause. Such clauses, sometimes called no-contest clauses, state that a person who challenges the will loses his inheritance under the will if the challenge is not successful. If the challenger wins the contest, he may obtain a larger inheritance, but he risks losing everything should he lose.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
The Rights of Children From a First Marriage


Related articles

Kentucky Heir Law Concerning Grandchildren

The laws governing Kentucky wills allow you to name any person or organization as an heir to your estate, including grandchildren. However, if you fail to draft a will, Kentucky will apply its intestate succession laws to determine which of your family members will receive your property. In this case, the state will attempt to distribute your entire estate to other heirs before your grandchildren can receive anything.

Can a Stepchild Inherit in Oklahoma?

In Oklahoma, if a stepparent desires to leave part of his estate to his stepchildren, he must explicitly do so via a last will and testament. Oklahoma's laws of intestate succession explain that a stepchild is not entitled to an inheritance as a matter of course, unless the stepparent explicitly provides for his stepchild in his will.

Laws Regarding a Child's Portion in South Carolina Wills

Money is often a source of conflict among family members. That's why it's important to convey your wishes regarding how you want your property distributed after your death. Keep in mind that while your children may feel a sense of entitlement to your property, there is no law in South Carolina that requires you to leave a certain percentage of your estate to your kids in your will.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

How to Contest a Will in Missouri

Your will leaves instructions for your loved ones regarding how you want your property distributed, and your loved ones ...

What if the Heir Predeceases the Decedent in Texas?

In Texas, if an heir of a person dies before him, what happens to the heir's share of the estate depends on whether the ...

Legal Will Advantages & Disadvantages

A legal will is a document that details someone’s last wishes. When the person passes away, the probate court that ...

Are Stepchildren Considered Children in a Will?

Your stepchildren may be as close to you as your biological children, but their legal ties to you are different. When ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED