How to Collect New Jersey Alimony in Arrears

By Angie Gambone

If your ex-spouse has stopped paying his alimony or is not paying as much as he is supposed to, the past due alimony will accumulate into what is known as an arrears. In order to collect those arrears, you must file a motion with the court. This process can be somewhat challenging if you do not follow all of the steps. Once you file a motion, you must also attend the court hearing on the matter so a judge can determine how your ex will pay you the arrears.

Completing a Motion Packet

Step 1

Complete a Notice of Motion and Notice to Litigants. These forms can be found on the New Jersey official court website or you can get a copy at your local courthouse. The notice of motion form lets the court know what relief you are seeking and informs the other party of the date the motion will be heard in court, which will be at least 24 days from the date the other party receives your paperwork. The notice to litigants explains to the other party how she can respond to the notice of motion.

Step 2

Complete a Certification. This is where you tell your side of the story. Explain your ex-spouse's history of nonpayment or underpayment of alimony. Tell the court how you want to resolve the matter. Include any proof, such as bank statements or canceled checks. Be sure to also include a copy of your divorce agreement so the court can review your ex-spouse's original alimony obligation.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Complete a Proposed Order. This is a document where you explain your best-case scenario for how you want the judge to rule on your case. If the judge rules in your favor, she signs the proposed order and it becomes binding.

Step 4

Complete a Certification of Filing and Service. When you complete your motion packet, you must serve a copy on your ex-spouse by mail or in person. You must then provide proof to the court that you served her. The certification of filing and service is where you explain how you served your ex-spouse within the time required. If you served her by certified mail, attach a copy of the postal service receipt. If you served her personally, write down who served her, when and where.

Step 5

File your motion packet and supporting documents with the court. You must mail or hand-deliver your motion packet to the same court that issued your initial divorce decree. When you file your motion, include a cover sheet, titled Letter to the Clerk, and filing fee.

Attending the Motion Hearing

Step 1

Go to court on the day of your motion hearing. When you originally file your motion, the court will tell you when the hearing will be held and the name of the judge.

Step 2

Present your case to the judge. Tell your side of the story and answer any questions the judge may have. If your ex-spouse comes to court, she will be permitted to tell her side of the story as well.

Step 3

Receive a copy of the court order. After the hearing, the judge will issue a decision on the matter and provide you with a copy of the final order. You and your former spouse will be expected to follow any and all instructions set forth in the order.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to File a Motion for Contempt in a Divorce Case


Related articles

How to Obtain a Divorce in North Carolina

If you wish to obtain a divorce in North Carolina, you can hire an attorney to handle the process for you or you can file on your own. If you opt to represent yourself in divorce proceedings, you will be known as a "pro se" litigant. You file divorce papers in the North Carolina county where you reside. Because specific rules for filing can vary from county to county, North Carolina State University suggests that you contact your county's clerk of court before you proceed with a divorce action.

How to Enforce Divorce Judgments in Illinois

Your divorce decree governs many issues between you and your ex-spouse including child custody, child support, spousal maintenance, division of property and division of debt. Both of you are bound by the terms of your divorce decree as it's a court order. If your ex-spouse does not comply with the order, you can ask the court to enforce it.

How to Draft a Child Custody Affidavit

If custody is a litigated aspect of your divorce, you won't need an affidavit for the trial, but you may need one at the beginning of your case. If you and your spouse can't agree on custody and visitation terms to govern the situation while your divorce plays out, you'll have to ask the court to issue a temporary order. In most states, this involves filing a motion, and a motion must be supported by an affidavit. Sometimes these documents are called certifications.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File an Answer to a Summons for Visitation

Although a summons can be a general notice to appear in court, within the context of a visitation proceeding, a summons ...

How to File a Motion to Enforce Child Support in Texas

Your divorce decree probably included provisions for child support payments and custody, but if your ex-spouse doesn’t ...

Motion to Reinstate a Divorce Complaint

Deadlines and mandatory court filings can complicate the divorce process, especially when you’re representing yourself ...

How to File a Motion in an Existing Child Custody Case

A motion is the legal device used to ask the court to change something when a lawsuit already exists. While a petition ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED