Colorado Law Concerning Noncustodial Parent Rights

By Beverly Bird

If you're a non-custodial parent, Colorado is a good place to live – assuming you were divorced there and a Colorado court ordered your custody arrangement. The state's code stresses frequent, meaningful and continuing contact between a child and both divorced parents, and it has revamped its legislation to remove the word "visitation" and replace it with "parenting time." The term acknowledges that time a non-custodial parent spends with his child isn't just "visiting," and that non-custodial parents have certain rights.


Colorado's statutes refer to the custodial parent as the "primary care parent." This means that the child spends more time in her home than with his other parent, but the other parent also has a right to time. Colorado courts tend to be generous with scheduling it. Some factors might cut back on overnight parenting time -- for example, when a child is very young or attending school near his other parent -- but Colorado judges will compensate for this by giving you additional daytime hours with your child instead.

Legal Custody

Legal custody is different from physical custody; it determines which parent makes important decisions regarding the child. Colorado has changed the term for legal custody as well. The statutes now refer to it as "decision-making responsibility," and Colorado courts prefer that divorced parents share it jointly. Non-custodial parents typically aren't denied the right to contribute to important considerations regarding the child, like health care, schooling and religion. However, minor day-to-day decisions are typically made by whichever parent the child is with at the time. If the court doesn't order joint decision-making responsibility for some reason, such as if there's a history of domestic violence between parents, a non-custodial parent still has certain rights. Colorado grants both parents full access to school records, medical records and other important documents, regardless of custody.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Relocation Issues

Your child's primary care parent does not have a unilateral right to decide where your child lives, and the parent can't move without your consent. Colorado law does not allow a parent to relocate with the children if the geographical distance is such that it would affect the amount of parenting time you have with your child. If you oppose such a move, your ex must petition the court for approval. If you're enjoying a lot of parenting time with your child, your ex probably won't get the court's approval, at least not without some very compelling reason for the move.

Legal Remedies

You have a right to involve the court if your ex routinely interferes with your parenting time as well. You can file a motion to enforce parenting time if you're not seeing your child according to the parenting time schedule in your decree. The state feels strongly about parenting time, so the court usually schedules these motions for hearings on an expedited basis. A judge can give you additional time with your child to make up for hours you've lost and might even make your ex-spouse pay your court costs or attorney's fees. In extreme cases, the court might order her to post a financial bond with the state. If she interferes with your parenting time again, she could lose the money. You can also file a petition for contempt of court if she repeatedly ignores the parenting time terms in your decree.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Information About Visitation Rights


Related articles

Can a Parent With Sole Custody Deny Visits?

If you have sole custody, you probably have a court order that awards you both legal custody and physical custody. Physical custody means that your child lives with you. Legal custody means you make all important decisions regarding your child without input from his other parent. Because all states believe a child should enjoy regular contact with both parents, the court order giving you sole custody probably specifies visitation times between your child and your ex. If so, you can’t suspend that visitation on your own. Only the court can deny visitation.

Who Has the Advantage in a Custody Battle?

Custody disputes in a divorce really are a lot like battles, as you line up your arsenals of evidence and testimony, then fire it all off at the judge to persuade him to rule in your favor. In one respect, this is what courts intend – at least, they don't want you heading into the fray thinking that one spouse already has an advantage over the other. Custody is decided based on the best interests of your child after the court weighs a series of factors.

Florida Marriage Separation & Child Visitation Rights

Florida overhauled its laws regarding custody and visitation in 2008, but the alterations were mainly cosmetic. Terminology changed -- visitation is now referred to as "time sharing" -- but many of the underlying issues remain the same. Children can’t live with two parents simultaneously when their parents don’t reside together. Visitation might go by a different name since 2008, but a non-custodial parent is still entitled to time with his child.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

Divorce Law & Visitation Statutes in Georgia

Although there may be no such thing as a perfect divorce, most states attempt to achieve that ideal, at least where ...

Colorado Joint Child Custody Laws

Colorado is one of the more progressive states when it comes to joint parenting post-divorce. Although many state ...

Reasons to Withhold Visitation in Virginia Child Custody

Virginia law is firm that a child has a right to contact with both parents. If you deny visitation without court ...

Divorce Laws and a Father's Rights in the State of Kansas

Like many states, Kansas has done away with the “tender years doctrine” that once assumed mothers should always have ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED