How to Commit Someone Without a Power of Attorney

By Beverly Bird

Involuntary commitment to a mental hospital may sound like something out of a Gothic novel, but adults still become mentally incapacitated or form destructive addictions and may need someone to step in for them in the new millennium. A power of attorney is not necessary, either in cases of drug or alcohol abuse or mental incapacity, but if you don't have a health care POA, a court must approve the commitment.

Step 1

Call your county courthouse to determine what court handles matters of commitment. If the person you’re concerned about is a minor, this will generally be the juvenile court.

Step 2

Contact or visit the appropriate court. Ask for a petition to have someone committed. In some states, you must be the spouse or a blood relative of the person you want to commit. In other states, anyone can make such a request, but there are usually restrictions, such as that you actually witnessed behavior in the recent past that makes the person a danger to herself or others.

Ready to appoint a power of attorney? Get Started Now

Step 3

Complete the petition. It will most likely ask you to explain the behavior you witnessed that has you so concerned. Give as much detail as possible. For example, your parent might suffer from Alzheimer's, yet insist on living alone. If you visited her recently and found all her stovetop burners turned on and burning for no reason, this would signify dangerous behavior. Describe the scene; don't just say you think she's lost her faculties. Depending on your state's laws, you might also have to gather and submit a doctor’s report or statements from other corroborating witnesses.

Step 4

Take your petition back to the court and file it with the court clerk. Some jurisdictions will immediately schedule you to speak with a judge, so you can orally detail why you think the person should be committed.

Step 5

Attend the court hearing for commitment, if you’re required to give testimony. Some states might require you to appear and repeat under oath what you've already told the judge. Other states may not allow you to attend the hearing because the proceedings are confidential. If you can’t attend, you’ll receive notice of the outcome.

Ready to appoint a power of attorney? Get Started Now
Grounds for Denying Visitation Rights


Related articles

How to Prove Emotional Child Abuse for Custody

Proving emotional child abuse can be like fencing with a ghost. You know it's there – you sense it and intuit the signs – but there may be no tangible, visible proof. This can make it a real minefield in a divorce, when you're trying to protect your child and you're worried about court-ordered custody and visitation. You have options, but you'll have to choose your way carefully.

How to Amend Divorce Papers

No matter how well-drafted and accurate your divorce papers are when you file them, you may subsequently need to amend them. Perhaps your circumstances have changed significantly or you discovered more information relevant to your divorce. If so, you may be able to amend, or change, your divorce papers before the court issues your divorce decree.

How to Write an Affidavit for Guardianship

Guardianship is a legal relationship in which an adult is responsible for the care and decision-making of someone who cannot care for himself. Although the term "guardian" is most frequently used with regard to being the guardian of children, guardianship affidavits are typically reserved for professionals, such as doctors and social workers, who are petitioning to have a guardian appointed for elderly or disabled persons. However, a guardianship affidavit may also be used by witnesses in court proceedings, particularly child custody disputes. The specific wording you use in your affidavit will vary depending upon your situation and jurisdiction. If you're not sure what you need to convey, consult a lawyer or your local laws.

Related articles

Custody & Addiction

A parent's substance abuse can have extremely negative consequences for children and family courts around the U.S. ...

How to Contest a Will Due to Alzheimer's

An objection that a decedent was suffering from Alzheimer’s disease and was mentally incompetent when she made her will ...

How to Prepare for a Custody Evaluation

If you and your spouse are contesting custody as part of your divorce, and the judge has decided that a custody ...

How to Petition for Sole Custody in New York

Sole custody is a custody arrangement in which one parent has sole decision-making authority over the child in addition ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED