Contesting a Will in the State of Maryland

By Beverly Bird

When a family member overlooks you in his will or snubs you by leaving you a negligible gift, you can't ask him why, but you may have recourse. You can contest or challenge the will, but the process isn't always without risk. The Orphans' Court oversees probate and will contests in Maryland, where will contests are called "caveat proceedings."


Only certain individuals can file caveat proceedings in Maryland. If you want to challenge a will, the decedent must either have named you in it as a beneficiary, or you're an heir who would have inherited by statutory law if your loved one had died without a will. In legal terms, you're "interested in the estate" if you meet either of these criteria. When you file a will challenge with Maryland's Orphans' Court, you're the "caveator."


You can't file a caveat in Maryland just because you feel the decedent wronged you. You need grounds. Acceptable grounds in Maryland include undue influence, if you believe someone coerced or pressured the decedent into writing the will the way he did. You can also file a caveat proceeding if you believe mental impairment caused the decedent to include terms in his will he wouldn't have considered if he'd been of sound mind. Mental incapacity might also cause him to forget and omit a loved one entirely. You can challenge a will if the document doesn't meet Maryland's statutory requirements, or because you've located a more recent will.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan


Maryland doesn't give you much time to file a will challenge. In most cases, you only have six months after the executor or personal representative of the estate is officially appointed. An exception exists if you've located another will that contradicts the one that's in probate. In this case, you have up to three months after probate of the first will closes. The court will reopen probate to allow a judge to decide your caveat proceeding.


As with any legal proceeding, there are pros and cons to initiating a will contest. Maryland law allows "no contest" clauses in wills, also called in terrorem clauses. An in terrorem clause states that if you're a named beneficiary in the will and challenge or contest it, you receive nothing. However, Maryland will only uphold such clauses if you don't have probable cause or a legitimate reason to file a challenge. Another consideration is that if the court decides to invalidate the decedent's entire will, Maryland will determine your share of the estate according to statutory law, just as if the decedent had died without a will. This might result in you receiving a negligible share of the estate, anyway. Statutory law passes an estate to a decedent's next of kin, and the surviving spouse and children usually receive the lion's share. If you're not closely related to the decedent or not related to him at all, you might receive very little or nothing, even after a successful caveat proceeding.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Contest a Will in Missouri


Related articles

How to Contest a Will in Louisiana

A person who creates a will is known as the testator. The process of administering the testator’s wishes in Louisiana is called probate or succession. Because the court generally assumes a will accurately reflects the testator’s wishes, it is difficult to contest it, but in limited circumstances, you may successfully accomplish this in Louisiana.

How to Contest a Will in Colorado

To contest a will in Colorado, as in other states, you must be an "interested party," which means you must stand to gain from the will in some way. You must also have valid grounds upon which to contest the will. In Colorado, valid grounds to contest a will include lack of testamentary capacity, undue influence or failure to adhere to the state's prescribed formalities such as lack of witnesses, among other oversights.

Law on Contesting Will Time Limit in California

You can contest a will in California, but you must petition the probate court as soon as possible. California permits will contests to be filed on various grounds by interested parties. Interested parties are the deceased person's heirs, creditors and specific beneficiaries named in the will. A successful will contest can void a will entirely or eliminate some of its provisions.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

Can Wills Be Contested?

Wills can be contested, but the process is subject to complex laws that vary from state to state. If you believe you ...

How to Contest a Will in Florida

After the death of a loved one, both family members and Florida courts want to ensure that the estate is distributed ...

How to Contest a Will in Virginia

Under Virginia law, only interested persons can contest a will. This can be done to either invalidate portions of a ...

Wills With No-Contest Clauses in Massachusetts

A will details the way the deceased person’s assets are to be distributed, but sometimes someone will try to contest, ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED