How to Get a Copy of My SS-4 for My Corporation

By Kay Lee

Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number (EIN), is produced by the Internal Revenue Service and used by corporations to apply for employer identification numbers. Each corporation is required to have an EIN for federal tax and other related business purposes. There are a variety of ways to apply for an EIN through the IRS, such as online, by telephone, fax or mail. The method by which your corporation is assigned an EIN depends on how your corporation applied for it. If you have misplaced your Form SS-4, the IRS will not provide you with a copy of your application. However, the IRS will help you obtain another copy of your EIN assignment letter or EIN number.

Step 1

Obtain the EIN from prior corporate tax returns or from bank accounts in the corporation’s name.

Step 2

Call the IRS at (800) 829-4933 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. The hours are based on the time zone from which you are calling.

Ready to incorporate your business? Get Started Now

Step 3

Provide the Business & Specialty Tax Specialist with the requested identifying information about your corporation. This information will range from your company’s name and business location to the EIN.

Step 4

Verify you are an authorized individual to receive this information. Corporate officers are considered authorized individuals by the IRS, so you will need to provide your title or role in the corporation to verify you are an authorized individual.

Step 5

Request a copy of your EIN assignment letter from the Business & Specialty Tax Specialist. This will likely be sent to the corporate address on file with the IRS, or you can provide an alternate business fax or mailing address for the corporation.

Ready to incorporate your business? Get Started Now
What Happens to Your EIN When Dissolving a Corporation?


Related articles

How to Get an S-Corporation Enterprise

An S corporation is a corporation that has been approved by the IRS to be taxed under Subchapter S of the Internal Revenue Code. An S corporation is typically not taxed as an entity. Instead, the IRS and many state governments tax shareholders of an S corp on their proportionate shares of the corporation's taxable income. This results in a net tax savings in many cases. To form an S corporation, you must form a corporation that complies with Subchapter S restrictions, and then elect S corporation taxation with the IRS.

How to Convert to S Corp From Sole Proprietor

A sole proprietor may benefit from converting to an S Corporation. While a sole proprietor is personally liable for business debts, shareholders of an S Corporation are not liable for the corporation’s liabilities. Neither business structure pays income taxes directly; instead, sole proprietors and S corporation shareholders both declare income earned by the business on their personal tax returns.

How to Obtain a Tax ID Number for an LLC

If your LLC has more than one member or employs anyone -- even if not full time -- you must request a federal tax ID from the Internal Revenue Service. Certain taxation decisions may also require you to obtain a tax ID. The number is also called an employer identification number and is the way the IRS identifies businesses on their tax filings. In this way, it is similar to your personal Social Security number. If your LLC is located in the United States, you may request an EIN online at the IRS website.

LLCs, Corporations, Patents, Attorney Help

Related articles

Can You Fill Out a 2553 Before the Articles of Incorporation?

A business entity that wishes to become an S corporation must file Form 2553 with the IRS. However, before a business ...

How to File a W-9 for an LLC

One of the major advantages of a limited liability company is that an LLC has pass-through taxation. Unlike a ...

How to Fill Out a W9 for a Sole Proprietor

If you own and operate a business and choose to run it as a sole proprietorship rather than creating a separate ...

How to Find a California Tax ID Number EIN

An employer tax identification number, commonly called EIN, is the business equivalent of an individual's Social ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED