How to Create an Estate for a Deceased Parent

By Heather Frances J.D.

Nearly everyone has some type of estate when he dies, even if that estate is small. But whether or not your parent's estate is large, you must follow your state's legal requirements when distributing that estate. This may involve creating a probate case for your parent, but you may also have other options depending on your state's laws and the type and value of your parent's assets.


Probate is the process in which your parent's financial affairs are settled and his assets distributed. During the probate process, the court appoints a representative to manage the estate until it can be distributed to your parent's heirs or beneficiaries. If your parent left a will, the court determines its validity and hears any challenges to it. Also during probate, the representative of the estate must provide notice to your parent's creditors that the probate estate has been opened, and he must pay your parent's debts out of the assets he left behind. At the end of the probate process, the representative can distribute any remaining assets to your parent's heirs or beneficiaries.

Picking a Probate Process

Though the steps of probate are generally the same, state laws determine the exact procedures you must follow in each probate case. Before you open a probate estate for your parent, you must choose what type of probate case to open. For many estates, the probate process can be supervised, sometimes called formal probate, or unsupervised, sometimes called independent administration or informal probate. Generally, formal probate is more expensive and can take more time because the court closely monitors the actions of the estate's representative. For example, the representative may have to get the court's permission to sell your parent's real estate. By contrast, informal probate generally requires little supervision, although the estate's representative must file some paperwork with the court.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Initial Steps of Probate

Once you have determined what type of probate process is appropriate for your situation, you can file a probate petition to begin your deceased parent's probate case. Generally, anyone with a financial interest in the outcome of the probate case can file the initial paperwork. If your parent left a will, you must file it with your probate petition; petitions must be filed in the probate court where your parent lived. The court can appoint you as the representative for the estate and generally will require you to compile an inventory of your parent's assets.

Alternatives to Probate

Depending on the assets in your parent's estate, you may be able to settle it without starting a probate case. Assets like life insurance generally pass directly to beneficiaries without having to go through probate. State laws may also provide a way to settle certain estates without going to court. For example, Texas allows real estate to pass to a deceased's heirs through an affidavit of heirship, which is a sworn statement that meets specific legal guidelines, as long as the deceased died without a will and left only real estate.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
What Are My Rights if My Parents Died & My Brother Is the Executor of the Will?


Related articles

Legal Recourse if Left out of a Will as a Daughter

The purpose of a last will and testament is to provide a will maker -- called a "testator" -- a mechanism by which he can dispose of his property in a manner he sees fit. In most instances, a testator is under no obligation to include children in his will. Thus, the legal recourse for a child left out of a will may be to contest the will.

The Rights of Children of a Deceased Person

Generally, a deceased parent has no obligation to leave property to her children. In fact, nearly every state allows a parent to completely disown her children in a will. If a parent did not leave a will, however, children may have rights to property as dictated by state law. Additionally, children are considered "interested persons," meaning they have a right to contest a parent's will if they have valid grounds.

How to Become an Executor of Your Parents' Estate

Serving as executor or personal representative of anyone’s estate can be a double-edged sword. While it is a great honor to be named in someone’s will as executor, the duty of carrying out his wishes after death may seem overwhelming. Siblings or other family members may be unhappy with the terms of the will and unfairly blame you or be jealous of your appointment and shun you. If, however, everyone is pleased with your appointment and you handle all estate matters fairly and in a businesslike manner, you may be rewarded by the appreciation of other family members as well as a sense of satisfaction that you successfully executed your parents’ last wishes.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

Tennessee Laws for a Deceased Parent's Executor

In Tennessee, the executor of a deceased parent's estate is obligated to manage and settle the estate's affairs. ...

Acting as Executor of a Parent's Will

If your parent has chosen you to serve as an executor, you have a legal responsibility to see that the terms of his ...

How to Get a Power of Attorney for a Sick Parent

Getting a power of attorney for your sick parent allows you to perform some actions for her, making life easier for her ...

How to Settle an Estate in Kentucky

Whether or not you leave a will, some of your estate will likely go through a settlement process called probate. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED