Cross-Motions In Divorce

By Jim Thomas

Cross-motions and motions are as inseparable as macaroni and cheese -- a cross-motion in a legal proceeding is a response to a motion. Motions are a request for a court order and can be made before, during and after a trial. Either party can file a motion asking a family law judge for an order relating to issues involving custody, visitation, child support, spousal support or restraining orders to keep the parties apart during the divorce process. The opposing party has the right not only respond to the motion, but also to ask for its own court orders in its cross-motion.


A motion includes the request for relief -- which is what the party wants the court to do -- as well as any facts relating to the request, legal support for the request and relevant exhibits. The opposing party filing a cross-motion responds to the claims with similar materials. The party filing the motion has an opportunity to reply to the cross-motion before the judge issues his ruling. Judges can grant either a motion or a cross-motion.

Temporary Motions and Cross-Motions

Motions and cross-motions made before and during the trial often ask for interim relief before the divorce is finalized. For example, if you want to make sure your spouse is not selling off marital assets, your attorney would file a motion asking the court to prohibit him from doing so. In response, his attorney might file a cross-motion asking you not to sell any of the jewelry he bought until the court divides the marital estate. During the trial, there are often motions and cross-motions to compel the other party to produce evidence and motions for a dismissal of the case.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Post-trial Motions

After the court trial is concluded, parties can file motions and cross-motions for modifications of the judgment and for the enforcement of the judgment if one side doesn't comply. A motion and cross-motion can also be filed to stay, or postpone, the court's decision or request the court take the decision under advisement if new evidence has come to light, on grounds the new evidence might be powerful enough to result in a different verdict in the case.


There has been some confusion in some state courts over the right to file cross-motions that go beyond the scope of the motion. In New Jersey, for example, courts were divided about expanding the scope of cross-motions until a case in 2009, decided by the appellate court, restricted a cross-motion to the subject matter of the original motion. However, as a practical matter, it makes little difference. Even if you are in a state that restricts cross-motions to the subject matter of the motion, you can file new motions of your own to get issues heard that are outside the scope of the opposing side's motions.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Reconsideration of Divorce Decree


Related articles

Motion Vs. Petition

The divorce process can involve significant paperwork. Most jurisdictions require the parties to first make all important requests to the court in writing. This provides the judge with an opportunity to review both sides of the issues before holding a hearing or ruling on the matter. These requests are known as either petitions or motions, depending on their purpose and when in the case they are filed.

What to Do When Your Husband's Attorney Is Not Responding to the Divorce

Divorce can be frustrating and stressful enough, without the process bogging down due to an unresponsive opposing counsel. The court process for divorces is comprised of very specific stages. If your husband's attorney does not respond during any or all of these stages, your case stalls. If you don't have your own lawyer to force a response from his fellow lawyer, there are options that you can exercise yourself.

Can My Ex Delay Our Custody Hearing?

If you have a custody hearing scheduled before a court, the hearing will normally take place at the scheduled date and time. The only person who can delay the hearing is a judge. If your ex wants to delay the hearing, he will be able to only if the judge agrees the delay is appropriate.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Eviction Notice & Bankruptcy

A tough stretch of financial misfortune can put you under the threat of eviction by your landlord. If you file for ...

What Happens When a Creditor Is Sanctioned in a Bankruptcy Case?

Debtors typically file a bankruptcy case to get relief from creditors and overwhelming debt, and bankruptcy laws ...

What Happens if You Breach an LLC Operating Agreement?

A limited liability company, or LLC, is usually governed by an operating agreement. Most states do not require that ...

Chapter 7 Relief of Stay

In a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, a debtor petitions the court for protection from lawsuits and collection efforts. As soon as ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED