The Custody of Kids When Not Married in Mississippi

By Beverly Bird

In most states, when an unmarried woman gives birth, she automatically and legally has sole custody of her child. Mississippi is no exception. When a married woman has a child, the state presumes that her husband is the father. In legal terms, “presumes” means that it is true until proved otherwise to a court's satisfaction. If the woman is not married, her child has no presumed father. Her child’s biological father therefore has no rights unless he takes steps to correct the situation.

Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity

Mississippi law requires medical professionals to offer parents the right to make a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity when babies are delivered to unmarried couples. However, the acknowledgment is not necessarily binding and it does not legally establish paternal rights for the unmarried father. Either parent has the right to rescind the acknowledgement for up to 60 days. Even after 60 days, either parent can withdraw the acknowledgment for good cause by petitioning the court. For example, a blood test might have shown that the man was not the baby's father after all.

Establishing Paternity Through the Court

Even if he acknowledges paternity, a father must also legally establish his paternity to have any chance of gaining custodial rights. In Mississippi, the first step of this process is filing a petition with the court, requesting a paternity test. The court will order the mother, the father and the child to appear at a lab facility approved by the Mississippi Department of Human Services. If the results indicate at least a 98 percent probability that the man is the child’s biological father, the law presumes paternity, just as it would if the mother had been married to him at the time she gave birth. The court will then issue an order legally establishing him as the child’s father.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Establishing Custody Terms

Legal establishment of paternity does not automatically award an unwed father custody; it only means that he’s in a position to ask the court for it. After a court legally acknowledges paternity, an unmarried father can file a second petition with the court, seeking custody. In reality, unless the mother is unfit in some respect, it’s highly unlikely that a court would remove the child from her care and give full legal and physical custody to the father. However, if she is unfit, the father has the option of proving it to the court, so he can get custody. If the mother is a good parent, he can at least get visitation and parenting time with the child incorporated into a custody order.

Necessity of Custody Order

An unmarried mother can also petition the court to ask for genetic testing if the father isn’t interested in establishing paternity. For example, she might want an order of child support. A positive paternity test does not mean she automatically gets child support; she would have to file a separate petition asking for it after custody is determined. However, she can’t get child support until paternity is proven.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Tennessee Law for Granting Custody to People Who Are Not Married


Related articles

Arizona State Laws: Title 13 Custody for Unwed Mothers

Arizona state law clearly outlines the requirements for parental custody. The legislature grants unwed mothers custody of a child without any legal action. These rights allow the unwed mother to make decisions regarding the child's living arrangements and welfare without consulting the child's biological father. This custody arrangement can later be challenged by a paternity action or court action for custody.

Parental Rights in a Non Married Relationship

Marriage is not a prerequisite to parenthood. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention note that in 2009 alone, a surprising 41 percent of all births were to unwed mothers. For married couples, parental rights are assumed and automatic. While unmarried couples enjoy many of the same parental rights as married couples, the route to establishing those rights is often more complex.

Can a Husband Force the Assumed Father to Take a Paternity Test?

Marriage creates legal paternity for children born during its course. If a woman becomes pregnant by a man other than her husband while she's married, the law in most states presumes that her husband is the child's father even if they later divorce. However, the husband can set the record straight -- and do so as part of the divorce proceedings.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

How to Change the Father's Name on a Birth Certificate in Missouri

If you are the biological father of a child but are not named on the child's birth certificate, you face significant ...

Dad's Rights to Sole Custody

Fathers had few rights in custody battles in the 20th century. That changed somewhat in the millennium. However, the ...

Laws on False Paternity

DNA testing is increasingly common and accurate, increasing many people's awareness that the purported father of a ...

Child Custody Rights for Mothers in California

Parents' custody rights vary from state to state. Historically, courts favored mothers when granting custody, but ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED