How to Get a Default Judgment for a Divorce in Kentucky

By Shannon Johnson

Kentucky is a no-fault divorce state. Parties do not have to allege any particular fault in their divorce complaint beyond “irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.” If your spouse is served and does not answer, or if you aren’t able to locate your spouse for service, you can get divorced via default judgment. Getting a default judgment in Kentucky requires following a strict procedure. The judge’s order will depend on the method by which you obtained the default judgment. Each county will have its own set of rules, so make sure to check with your county clerk before you get started.

Filing for Divorce and Serving Your Spouse

Step 1

File your divorce complaint with your county clerk of court. Make sure to complete any other forms your particular county requires.

Step 2

Serve your spouse at the last known address you have for her with the summons and the file-stamped divorce complaint. The summons will notify your spouse that she must file an answer within 20 days.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Complete a warning order affidavit and pay for a warning order attorney if you don’t know where your spouse lives. The attorney will have 50 days to try to notify your spouse of the filed divorce action. If your spouse cannot be found within this time frame, the warning order attorney will file a report with the court detailing the efforts undertaken.

Motion for Default and Final Hearing

Step 1

Fill out a motion for default judgment, including your case number. One of the most important sections is where you note how and when your spouse was served. Don’t sign the motion until you get ready to file it in with the clerk of court because it has to be notarized.

Step 2

File your motion for default with county clerk. After you file the motion, the clerk will assign a date and time for your hearing. You will have to pay for your copy of the hearing notice. Ask for a copy of the notice to be sent to your spouse’s last known address.

Step 3

Attend the final hearing. The court will not enter a default judgment unless the person who filed for the divorce is present. If your spouse was served via the sheriff’s department, the judge will have the freedom to grant everything you requested in your divorce petition, including child and spousal support, property division, custody and any other marital issues. If your spouse was served via a warning order attorney, the judge can grant only your divorce and award you custody. Under Kentucky law, the judge will not be able to decide any issues that deal with financial matters including alimony, property division and child support.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Motion of Default in a Divorce in Illinois



Related articles

Can You Get a Divorce in the State of Alabama If One Partner Refuses?

If your spouse is not cooperating in the divorce process, you may think you have no options to get out of an unhappy marriage. But while an uncooperative spouse can make the divorce process take longer and be more costly, the court in Alabama has the authority to grant the divorce even if your spouse opposes it. For example, the judge can grant a default divorce and any requests made by you in your divorce complaint.

How to File for Divorce in New Mexico When a Spouse Won't Sign

No matter his reason, your spouse cannot legally force you to stay married in New Mexico. Some spouses will not sign an acceptance of service, thinking such inaction will stop the divorce proceedings. The path your divorce will take when your spouse will not sign an acceptance of service and agree to the terms outlined in the petition can either proceed as a contested divorce or result in a default divorce.

How to Appeal a Divorce Decree From a Default Hearing

Default divorce occurs when one spouse files for divorce but the other does not participate in the proceeding. When a spouse files for divorce, the other has a certain number of days to respond. If there is no response, the petitioning spouse files for a default decree and usually receives any requested relief, as there is no objection. Requirements differ from state to state, but generally the non-responsive spouse may appeal the default within six months if he did not receive proper notice of the original proceeding.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Do You Have to Go to Court When Divorce Is Final in Tennessee?

If your divorce is contested, you can count on appearing in court, maybe even more than once, for both temporary ...

How to File a Divorce in the Dallas County Courts

To file for a divorce in Dallas County, Texas, at least one party to the divorce must be a resident of Texas for a ...

Alabama Divorce Via Default

Whether you cannot track down your spouse or he is completely unresponsive to your divorce complaint, you may still ask ...

How to File for Divorce With an Ad in the Newspaper

Although state residency requirements vary somewhat, if you are seeking a divorce, you must typically file a petition ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED