Default Judgments in Kansas in a Divorce

By Heather Frances J.D.

By the time you get ready to file for divorce, you and your spouse may not be getting along well enough to cooperate during the divorce proceeding. Your spouse may decide to ignore the divorce paperwork you filed, thinking that will stop the divorce or make you angry. Unfortunately for your spouse, Kansas courts can grant default judgments in divorce cases, giving you a divorce even when your spouse does not want to participate in the process.

Filing for Divorce

You cannot obtain a default judgment or any other type of divorce judgment until you actually file a petition for divorce in Kansas. To file for divorce, you must complete the petition for divorce form along with several other required documents. The petition includes basic information about you, your spouse and your children, along with the details of the relief you are requesting from the court, including property, spousal support and child custody arrangements. Once complete, you must file these forms with the clerk of the appropriate district court and pay a filing fee.

Serving Your Spouse

You must officially serve your spouse with copies of these documents after you file them. If you can't later prove to the court that you properly served your spouse, the court will not grant a default judgment in your divorce. Kansas allows you to have a sheriff serve your spouse; you can request this type of service at the time you file your paperwork as long as your spouse lives in Kansas. You can also mail the paperwork via certified mail, return receipt requested, to your spouse’s last known residential address. If you cannot serve your spouse with one of these methods, the court may allow you to fulfill the service requirements by publishing notice in an approved local newspaper, but this type of notice requires special court permission and paperwork.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Default Judgment

Your spouse can file a response to your divorce petition, either disputing or agreeing with some or all of its contents. If your spouse simply ignores the divorce papers and does not respond, the court can enter a judgment without his input, called a default judgment. Kansas courts can enter a default judgment as soon as 60 days after you file your divorce papers. Since your spouse’s side of the divorce case is not represented when he fails to file a response, the court can grant not only the divorce but also the relief you asked for in your original petition.

Reversing a Default Judgment

Default judgments can be set aside or changed later for good cause. This includes clerical errors or mistakes, such as the misspelling of a name; it also includes completely reversing the entire judgment under certain circumstances. For example, if you obtain a default judgment by deliberately mailing the divorce papers to an address where you know your spouse never lived, a Kansas court could reverse the default judgment because of this fraud. Your spouse must make a motion to change or set aside a judgment within a reasonable time, often not more than one year after the judgment was issued.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can You Just Not Do Anything in a Divorce if You Are the Respondent?


Related articles

Can You Stop the Divorce Process in California After the Waiting Period?

California law mandates that the divorce process take at least six months, and this waiting period does not begin until your spouse is officially served with the divorce petition. The waiting period may be inconvenient for those in a hurry to put their marriages behind them, but it gives the parties time for reconsideration. If you change your mind about finalizing the separation before or after the six-months, you can stop the divorce process in several different ways.

What Happens if I Ignore Divorce Summons Papers in New York?

The ostrich-like tactic of burying your head in the sand never works in a divorce situation. Depending on the extent of your marital property and whether you have children, ignoring a divorce summons in New York can cause big problems you can’t easily undo. New York law makes it relatively simple for your spouse to go ahead and get a divorce without your cooperation.

How to File a Divorce in the Dallas County Courts

To file for a divorce in Dallas County, Texas, at least one party to the divorce must be a resident of Texas for a minimum of six months and a resident of Dallas County for at least 90 days. You should confirm that either you or your spouse meets these residency requirements before attempting to file for divorce in Dallas County, Texas.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Can a Divorce Be Denied?

Depending on your state’s laws, the state court can decline to grant your divorce, but it won’t deny a divorce simply ...

Divorce Decrees in Oklahoma

A divorce decree serves to officially dissolve a marriage and determine the terms of the divorce, including alimony, ...

What Happens in Minnesota If a Divorce Becomes Defaulted?

In Minnesota, a divorce defaults when one spouse refuses or neglects to become legally involved in the process. If he ...

How Soon Can I Get a Divorce After a Spouse is Served in Texas?

As in most states, how quickly you can get a Texas divorce depends on how complicated your divorce is, not how much ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED