The Difficulty of Claiming Abandonment as Divorce Grounds in Alabama

By Beverly Bird

In any state that recognizes abandonment as a divorce ground, the biggest impediment to using it is that your spouse must have left you to fend for yourself financially and emotionally before it applies. You must wait out a lengthy period before you can file for divorce, and, by definition, your spouse must be absent during all that time. This can make ending your marriage a long, drawn-out process. However, in Alabama, it may be worth it. The state’s legislative code addresses marital fault, and particularly abandonment, regarding issues of custody, alimony and property division.

No-Fault Ground

Alabama has two abandonment grounds for divorce: one is fault-based and the other is no-fault. The no-fault ground requires that the abandonment must be voluntary. This means you consented to your spouse leaving. If you do this, you only have to wait a year before filing for divorce. However, your spouse’s desertion will have no effect on property distribution or potential spousal support you might receive, because you agreed that he could leave and no marital fault is being alleged. Alabama’s statutes require that your spouse abandon you from “bed and board" to use this ground. “Bed” means that he is physically absent; “board” means that he is not supporting you financially during this time.

Fault Ground

If you use Alabama’s fault ground for abandonment, it can affect a judge’s decisions regarding both property distribution and spousal support. According to Alabama law, the court can consider marital misconduct when dividing property between spouses and when ordering alimony. When a wife is the one who abandons a marriage and a husband uses this ground, it will also affect custody; if the children are older than seven years of age, the court will automatically place them with their father. However, this ground requires that the spouse filing make it on his own, without his spouse’s financial assistance, for two years before he can file for divorce.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Support Issues

If you’re struggling to make ends meet, waiting one year to file on the no-fault abandonment ground or two years to file on the fault abandonment ground can be an eternity. This is especially true if you have children to support. You cannot file for temporary alimony to hold you over while your divorce is pending, or for a child support order, until your divorce is officially underway. You must first file a complaint for divorce.


If your situation is such that you cannot make it a year until you can file on a no-fault abandonment ground or two years until you can file on a fault abandonment ground without financial assistance from your spouse, Alabama law gives you another option. The state recognizes legal separation. You can file for legal separation as soon as your spouse leaves you. The grounds for legal separation are much less strict than those for divorce. Either you or your spouse must wish to live separately. If your spouse has left you, it’s a clear indication that he wants to live separate from you. You can, therefore, file a suit for legal separation and the court can order alimony, child support and even property division as part of that lawsuit. At the end of two years, you can file for divorce on the fault ground of abandonment, and the court will make more final decisions regarding property and financial issues. However, this option essentially involves filing two separate legal proceedings: one for separation and one for divorce.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Abandonment Divorce Laws in Texas


Related articles

Is There a Desertion Divorce Law in Mississippi?

Mississippi law permits spouses to obtain a divorce based on desertion, but only under certain circumstances. If your spouse leaves you without your consent, you may feel deserted, but to obtain a divorce based on his desertion, you must be able to prove your spouse’s behavior was "willful, continued and obstinate."

Divorce & Legal Separation Laws in Pennsylvania

Technically, Pennsylvania’s statutes contain no mention of "legal separation." This is a bit misleading, however, because the state does recognize at least the concept of legal separation. If you and your spouse can agree to the terms of your separation in a written agreement, the state considers it binding upon both of you.

North Carolina Divorce a Year After Separating or Signing a Separation Agreement

North Carolina is somewhat unique among states in two respects: spouses can divorce without first resolving issues of custody, support and property, and the state has abolished fault-based divorce. Only two grounds exist for divorce: the incurable insanity of your spouse, or a one-year separation. Because most spouses are not incurably insane, this leaves many divorcing couples with only one option -- to separate a year before one of them files.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Divorce & Abandonment Laws in Georgia

Georgia does not technically recognize ”abandonment” as a divorce ground, but this doesn’t mean your spouse can leave ...

Ohio Divorce and Abandonment Laws

Ohio law allows you to end your marriage by either divorce or dissolution. Dissolution generally involves an amicable ...

Can You Get Divorced in Pennsylvania Without a Court Appearance?

When spouses hotly contest issues between them, this invariably requires at least one court appearance so a judge can ...

Tennessee Divorce After Desertion

Tennessee recognizes a total of 13 different fault grounds for divorce, some of them quite creative. The state also ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED