Discovered Marital Property After Divorce

By Beverly Bird

Finding out after your divorce that your spouse hid assets from you can result in a decidedly sinking feeling, especially if those assets are of significant value. But your ex should experience the distress, not you. You have options to claim your rightful share while your ex-spouse faces potential punitive damages. Depending on where you live, it doesn’t always matter that your divorce is behind you.

Secondary Lawsuits

If your spouse neglected to mention certain assets when he was divulging them to you and the court as part of the divorce process, some states allow you to reopen your case. You can file a post-judgment motion with the family court that granted your divorce under the same docket or case number that appears on your decree. Because the rules vary a great deal from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, speak to an attorney in your area if you discover marital property after your divorce is final. A professional can tell you exactly what court rules apply in your state.


If your spouse hid assets deliberately, you can expect that he won’t surrender your rightful share of them without a fight. A common defense is claim preclusion, also called collateral estoppel. This legal doctrine essentially states that you had your chance to litigate property division during the divorce proceedings and if you didn’t make full and good use of that opportunity, that’s your problem not your spouse’s. The Arizona Supreme Court rejected this argument in the 2006 case of Dressler v. Morrison, but if your spouse raises such a defense to your litigation, arguing against it will probably require an extensive understanding of the law. It might not be something you’d want to undertake without the assistance of an attorney.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Punitive Damages

If your second lawsuit is successful, the outcome will depend on whether the court believes your spouse omitted the assets intentionally or in error. If the omission was an oversight, the court might divide the value of the discovered property between you in the same way and in the same proportions it divided your other property in your divorce. However, if you can prove malicious intent or fraud, it’s conceivable the court could punish your ex for his actions. The court may award you the entire value of the asset or your ex may be required to pay you compensatory damages because you didn’t have use of the asset for a period of time. You might even receive punitive damages, an amount of money or property payable to you because he committed a wrongdoing.

Equitable Distribution Vs. Community Property States

Generally, you stand a better chance of recovering your share of hidden assets post-divorce if you live in a community property state. These states view all property acquired during the marriage as owned equally by both spouses. Therefore, your ownership interest in the asset that existed at the time of your divorce does not go away simply because your divorce litigation has ended. In some equitable distribution states, the courts do not have the power to go back and reopen issues of property division after the divorce is final, but that does not always mean that you don’t have the right to sue your ex in civil court for committing fraud. If you consult with an attorney, he can tell you what your options are. Some equitable distribution states do include specific provisions in their legislation for this type of post-divorce event. For example, Oregon obligates family courts to reopen a divorce case if the wronged spouse can prove the omitted assets existed at the time of the divorce.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Adultery & Legal Rights


Related articles

Can a Man Give Away Marital Assets Without the Consent of a Wife in Michigan?

As long as you’re married, the court has no jurisdiction over your property, in Michigan or elsewhere. The law doesn’t and can’t govern what private citizens do with their assets -- unless fraud is involved. Even then, the court won’t intervene unless someone, usually the injured party, opens a lawsuit asking a judge to make the situation right. A divorce is one such litigation.

Tennessee Divorce Laws on Adultery

You don’t have to prove marital misconduct to receive a divorce in Tennessee; the state offers the no-fault ground of irreconcilable differences. However, its statutes require that you and your spouse live apart for two years before you qualify for a no-fault divorce. Fault grounds don’t share the same restriction, which can make them an attractive option if your spouse has done something to end the marriage, such as committing adultery.

Does a Spouse Get Increased Value in an Inherited Home in Divorce?

There are few black-and-white answers when it comes to inherited property in divorce. An inherited asset starts out belonging solely to the spouse who received it, and it may remain that way – or it may not. It depends on what you do with it between the date you receive it and the time your marriage ends. If it appreciates in value, this is an additional factor the court must consider -- the question becomes why its value went up. Depending on the answer, the increase might be yours, or you might have to share it with your spouse.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Happens if the Trustee Abandoned an Asset?

The word "abandon" sounds alarming, but it can actually be a good thing in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. When your trustee ...

Can a Wife's Financial Misconduct Be Considered in a Divorce?

Your divorce court will issue a divorce decree that details the terms of your divorce, including how property is to be ...

Can a Wife Take Assets in a Divorce That Were Owned by the Husband Prior to the Marriage in Ohio?

Ohio courts can divide all types of property in your divorce -- real estate, household furnishings, vehicles and bank ...

How to Divide Up the Assets for a Divorce in Illinois

In Illinois, you have the right to reach a property settlement agreement with your spouse: the two of you can mutually ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED