Divorce & Changes in Circumstance in Massachusetts

By Beverly Bird

Ideally, if a significant change occurs in your life, it will happen while you are in mid-divorce, so your eventual decree can adequately address it. This isn't usually the case, and Massachusetts allows spouses to modify the terms of their decrees after divorce to accommodate changes. However, unless you and your spouse agree to a modification by consent, Massachusetts judges require “substantial and material” changes in circumstance before they’ll issue a modification order. “Substantial” means the change must be big; “material” means it must directly relate to the provision you want to change.


Changes that warrant a modification of custody terms usually involve the suitability of the custodial parent’s home. If she loses her job and must move to accommodations without adequate bedroom space for the children, this qualifies. If she takes in a roommate who has a history of domestic violence or child abuse, a court would most likely change the custody terms to insure the children’s safety. One of the most significant changes affecting custody occurs when the custodial parent wants to move out of state with the children. This would seriously affect the children’s relationship with their other parent, so the existing parenting plan or custody arrangement would require tweaking to accommodate such a move, if the court allows it at all.

Child Support

Massachusetts enacted legislation in January 2009 prohibiting changes to child support orders unless a substantial and material change has occurred. Exceptions exist if the order has been in place for three years or more or if the child receiving support reaches the age of majority, emancipates and moves out on her own without going to college. Other than emancipation, the court usually requires that at least one parent’s income must have increased or decreased by at least 20 percent since the time when child support was calculated. There might also have been a change of custody, so one parent should now be receiving child support instead of paying it.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Spousal Support

The remarriage of a spouse receiving alimony or spousal support would be a significant change in circumstances. The court generally considers that this means she does not need ongoing financial assistance from her ex any longer. However, Massachusetts courts will not modify spousal support orders for changes of circumstance if the decree specifically states that the alimony provision is not modifiable.The remarriage of the spouse paying support is not a factor.


You cannot alter the property provisions of a divorce decree in Massachusetts because of changed circumstances. The terms of a decree regarding property distribution are usually ironclad, regardless of whether a spouse’s need for the property changes post-divorce. Decrees issued by a judge after a divorce trial can be appealed within a short period of time, but only under limited conditions. Changes in a spouse’s circumstances don’t qualify. If you and your spouse reached a marital settlement agreement without going to trial, you can only change its property terms if you can prove to the court that your ex committed some type of fraud during the negotiations, such as by misrepresenting debts or assets.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Constitutes Substantial Change for Someone Modifying Child Support in Florida?


Related articles

Can Child Support Go Up When a Spouse Makes More Money in California?

Child support orders are not permanent, but instead adaptable to particular changes of circumstance. In California, the modification process begins with a petition to the court and the judge will look to whether a material change in circumstances has occurred, with enhanced wealth typically qualifying as such a change. However, it is important to understand that increased income is only one factor of many the court will take into consideration when determining whether or not to increase support.

How Long Do You Pay Alimony in Missouri?

Like many states, Missouri courts prefer to call alimony “spousal maintenance.” By any name, there are few definitive rules regarding when a judge orders it and how long the payments last. Missouri courts have a great deal of discretion when it comes to spousal maintenance or support. It usually comes down to the opinion of a single judge, based on the particular circumstances of your case.

How Can Alimony Be Canceled or Modified in California?

Since divorce can be seen as a fresh start to a new life, it is no surprise that personal relationships and finances will change for former spouses over time. When it comes to spousal support, also known as alimony, judges must make initial orders based on conditions as they exist at the time of divorce. However, as circumstances change, California courts have discretion to either modify or cancel support orders. Situations that can affect the payment amounts may include loss of income by the paying spouse, cohabitation by the receiving spouse, or the receiving spouse's failure to make appropriate efforts to become self-supporting.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Does a Spouse Receive Alimony When Divorced in Ohio?

Spouses can receive alimony during or after a divorce in Ohio, but it’s not an automatic right. Judges make alimony ...

Modified Judgment of Divorce in Michigan

When Michigan courts make decisions in a divorce case, they base those decisions on the facts known at the time of the ...

Can You Go Back to Court for Custody After You Gave Your Child to Your Spouse?

Parents always maintain the right to go back to court to change custody arrangements after their divorce is final. The ...

How Can I Get Custody if My Ex-Wife Has Been Married Four Times?

Courts recognize a parent’s right to move on after divorce, so remarriage in itself is not usually a cause for custody ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED