Is a Divorce Decree Void if a Financial Disclosure Is False?

By Mike Broemmel

Typically you and your spouse must file financial disclosures when you divorce. In fact, all states maintain this requirement in some form, except when a divorce is uncontested and you and your spouse agree on all major issues associated with the divorce. If you discover that a financial disclosure was false, your divorce is not void -- but depending on the circumstances, you may be able to get the court to re-address certain financial issues.


Simply because the divorce is not set aside by the court, or voided, does not mean that you have no recourse. You have the legal right to go back into court and reopen the divorce case, without setting aside the marriage termination itself. You can request that the court reexamine issues surrounding finances, property and debt in light of the revelation concerning false statements filed by your ex-spouse.

Penalty for Minor Misstatements

If your ex made only minor misstatements, such as slightly understating income, the consequences usually fit the misconduct. Although courts do not condone even minor false statements, particularly when made under oath, a likely resolution will be an admonishment or scolding by the judge, and an order to correct the financial disclosure statement. There will also typically be an adjustment of asset or debt allocation between the parties, if necessary.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Penalty for Major Mistatements

The most significant penalty a court imposes in the aftermath of a significant false statement on a financial disclosure statement is a finding of contempt. What is known as a "contempt citation" results in penalties that may include forfeiture of additional property to the injured spouse or a monetary penalty payable to the court. A judge even has the authority to send your ex to jail pursuant to a contempt citation. However, in the vast majority of cases involving even a major misstatement, a trip to jail is unlikely.

Child Custody and Support

Generally speaking, no adjustment in either child custody or support likely occurs in the immediate aftermath of the discovery of false information in a financial disclosure statement as a means of punishing the wrongdoer. However, if the misinformation resulted in a significant understatement of income, the court may order a recalculation of the parents' child support obligations.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to File Bankruptcy With Unsecured Debt



Related articles

Statute of Limitations for Processing a Will in Texas

There are different statutes of limitation for wills in Texas, depending on the issue. The state’s legislation also provides for exceptions to some statutes of limitation. In general, it is advisable to act sooner rather than later when processing a will to avoid the possibility of penalties and other complications.

What Happens in Court at a Massachusetts Custody Hearing if You Haven't Paid Child Support?

Your failure to pay child support can land you in hot water with a judge, especially with the judge who issued the order. In Massachusetts, a judge has the authority to order you to pay child support, even while your divorce is pending. If you don’t pay as ordered, you can face fines and other punishment. The court may also view your nonpayment as evidence of your parental irresponsibility.

Are Divorce Records a Matter of Public Record?

The divorce process can be highly invasive. Yet the disclosure of intimate personal details can be necessary to establish why a divorce is being sought and to resolve financial matters and child custody issues. After the divorce is over, court records generally remain available to public inspection.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Post Judgment Divorce Issues in New Jersey

Generally speaking, a final divorce decree is intended to be just that -- final. However, significant issues can arise ...

What Happens in Bankruptcy Court if I Do Not Show Up for a Motion Hearing?

Failing to show up at a scheduled motion hearing in bankruptcy court when you are required to do so could lead the ...

What Happens After Receivership in Divorce Cases in Texas?

Texas is among a handful of states with statutory provisions to address circumstances when a divorce turns particularly ...

Can You Revoke a Sworn Affidavit in a Divorce Case?

The divorce process is riddled with occasions when you're asked to sign documents under oath. Most include language ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED