Divorce Decrees in the State of Connecticut

By Heather Frances J.D.

When a Connecticut couple chooses to end their marriage, they must obtain a divorce decree from a Connecticut court. A Connecticut divorce decree addresses items such as child custody and support, spousal support and property division, in addition to dissolving the marriage. If circumstances change after the initial divorce decree, the court may modify certain elements of the decree.

Residency Requirements

A Connecticut court cannot issue a divorce decree unless at least one of the spouses has been a resident of Connecticut for at least one year before the divorce is finalized by the court, either spouse was once a resident of Connecticut and has since returned to Connecticut to live, either spouse was a resident of Connecticut before military duty took the spouse out of state, or the cause of the divorce arose after the spouses moved to Connecticut.

Grounds for Divorce

Connecticut allows spouses to file for divorce on fault-based grounds, or reasons, but also offers no-fault grounds. No-fault divorce does not require one spouse to prove the divorce is the other spouse’s fault. While the court might consider fault when determining financial orders, like property division and alimony, it might also choose not to consider fault when making its determination.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Filing for Divorce

To begin the divorce process in Connecticut, a spouse must file a divorce complaint, which includes important information about your marriage along with your reason for divorce and proposed terms of the divorce. Once a spouse files the complaint, he must serve a copy of it on the other spouse, typically by asking the state marshal to serve the documents. If the other spouse chooses to file an answer in response to the complaint, he must do so within the time frame given by the court in the initial divorce papers.

Divorce Decree

If the responding spouse answers the divorce complaint and both spouses can reach agreement on the terms of the divorce, a Connecticut court can grant a divorce decree as soon as 90 days from the “return date,” which is the official start date of your case as set by the court; however, under the most ideal circumstances, the soonest a divorce is finalized is usually four months. If spouses cannot agree, the court will determine the terms of the divorce for them, extending the time it takes to obtain a divorce decree.

Divorce Decree by Default

If a spouse does not respond to the complaint, the filing spouse can seek a default divorce. Generally, to obtain a divorce by default, the filing spouse must request a default judgment from the court and provide notice of the request to her spouse. Typically, the court will schedule a default hearing. If the spouse doesn’t attend the hearing, a Connecticut judge is likely to grant the filing spouse’s request for a default divorce and grant the terms requested in her complaint.


Connecticut spouses can modify many terms of their divorce decree, including child custody and alimony, if their circumstances change after the court issues the original divorce decree. Since property distribution becomes effective immediately when the court issues the divorce decree, it is very difficult to modify property awards. To modify a divorce decree, the spouse requesting modification must file a petition with the court that issued the original decree, and the petition must specify which terms should be modified and describe the changed circumstances that warrant the modification.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Can a Spouse Get Half of the House in a Divorce in Connecticut?


Related articles

Do You Have to Wait 30 Days for a Decree of Divorce in Arkansas?

Even if divorcing spouses agree on all marital issues, such as custody and property division, Arkansas imposes a 30-day waiting period on all divorces. This means the court will not issue a divorce decree until at least 30 days have passed since the date the divorce petition was filed.

How Long Do You Have to Wait After Legal Separation to Finalize a Divorce in Colorado?

The process of getting a legal separation in Colorado is similar to the steps required to obtain a divorce. Once a Decree of Legal Separation is finalized, the spouses' responsibilities regarding property and debt division, spousal maintenance, child support and custody are established, just like in a divorce case. However, with a legal separation, the spouses remain married. Spouses sometimes choose this route for religious or economic reasons. If a divorce is desired later, either party may convert the separation into a divorce after six months have passed.

What Is the Difference Between a Default Divorce & No Fault in Arizona?

Arizona’s no-fault divorce laws make it easier to obtain a divorce than in other states where you must prove wrongful conduct on the part of your spouse. Even though Arizona is a no-fault divorce state, your spouse has the right to challenge your request to end the marriage by filing opposing papers with the court. If your spouse does not file the papers in time, the court may grant you a divorce by default.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Arkansas Divorce Information

Arkansas favors marriage and requires proof of the grounds on which a petition for divorce is based. Most people file ...

How Do I File for Divorce in Oregon?

In Oregon, divorce is called dissolution of marriage. Either spouse can file for dissolution and must do so in ...

How to Get an Uncontested Divorce in Massachusetts

In Massachusetts, the uncontested divorce process provides couples with the option of avoiding some of the ...

An Uncontested Divorce in Kansas

Although an uncontested divorce may be less stressful and time-consuming than a contested divorce, you must ensure that ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED