Divorce During Deployment

By Rob Jennings J.D.

Getting divorced is complicated, but going through one while you or your spouse is on military deployment makes matters even more challenging. The military has its own laws regarding divorce. In addition, the federal government has created legal protections for members of the U.S. armed forces who are deployed -- in other words, away from the United States on military duty.

Serving Divorce Complaint

You can generally serve a divorce summons and complaint on a service member by certified mail, return receipt requested. Sometimes, you can do it by registered or certified U.S. mail if the nation where the service member is stationed does not object. However, a service member can refuse service. If the military postal clerk does not send the return receipt back or obtains the wrong signature, you may again send the summons and complaint to the service member, return receipt affixed and postage paid. This time, place your new packet inside a larger envelope and address it to the military postal officer where the member is located. Include a note explaining your unsuccessful attempt to get a return receipt and ask for proper delivery and a properly executed receipt.

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act

The SCRA applies to active duty service members, reservists and national guardsmen who are called for a period of more than 30 consecutive days. If a service member cannot appear or participate in a divorce or legal separation proceeding, he may request a "stay" of the proceedings under the SCRA. The proceeding may be delayed for the time the service member is on active duty plus an additional 60 days, but the delay is within the court's discretion.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Divorce During Deployment

Usually, any divorce you get from a deployed service member will have to be uncontested since it is difficult to argue issues while one party is out of the country. This means that the two sides will have to come to an agreement that resolves all outstanding issues. For example, if the couple has children, they must agree on a parenting arrangement, including child support. If they agree to this, a civilian lawyer may be able to file the paperwork for them.

Child Custody

Some states have laws protecting service members' child custody rights. For example, some states have barred courts from issuing permanent child custody orders while a service member is deployed. Other laws urge courts to make custody orders revert back to the original order before the parent was deployed. Sometimes a service member has joint custody of the children before deployment, but when she is deployed, the other parent gets a temporary order of sole custody. Some states do not allow courts to use deployment as a factor in child custody cases.

Hague Convention

When serving your initial divorce complaint, you must comply with the Hague Convention on Service Abroad of Judicial and Extrajudicial Documents if the place of duty is part of the convention. Some countries do not have an objection to service by certified or registered mail. Other countries demand that you serve the documents through a specific government office and translate the documents into the host nation’s language.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
The Texas Divorce Laws for Deployed Soldiers


Related articles

Do Divorce Papers Expire if Not Served?

Divorce involves an intricate series of rules -- and many of them come with deadlines. Service of process is one such rule. Your spouse has a right to defend himself in the divorce action, so you must serve your divorce papers on him according to the laws of your state. There's usually a deadline by which you must do so, but it can vary depending on where you live.

Military Divorce in North Carolina

Military courts don’t issue divorces, so military members must get divorces from state courts like everyone else. Divorces filed in North Carolina courts are governed primarily by North Carolina laws, even when one or both spouses are in the military. However, some federal laws provide additional protection and guidance when military members are involved.

Can My Ex-Husband Stop Child Support If He Has the Kids While I'm Deployed?

If you were in the military at the time of your divorce, it's possible that your original custody and support orders address what happens in the event that you are deployed. If not, you typically have to return to court for new custody and support orders, and your ex-spouse must continue to pay child support until a new order is in place.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Get a Divorce While in the Military: Who Keeps the Kids?

Many divorcing couples struggle over issues involving their children and these struggles may be particularly difficult ...

Child Custody Laws Concerning Deployed Parents

In many ways, military custody cases are the same as civilian custody cases -- and both are decided by state courts. ...

Military & Divorce Jurisdiction

Like civilians, military members must divorce in state courts since there are no military courts with the ability to ...

Georgia Divorce Laws for Military Personnel

Divorce is governed primarily by state law, so Georgia laws generally determine how divorce works in Georgia. There is ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED