How to Divorce in Florida if Your Spouse Is Nowhere to Be Found

By Beverly Bird

One of the basic freedoms that comes with living in America is that no one can force you to stay married – even if your spouse disappears. Most states have specific laws for dealing with this situation, and Florida is no exception. If you want to officially end your marriage but you have no idea where your spouse is, the state's legislative code sets out exactly what you must do to obtain a divorce.

Constructive Service

It's a constitutional right that an individual who is being sued must receive notice of the lawsuit so he can defend himself against it. This is known as service of process, and in Florida divorce cases, it typically involves the sheriff or a private process server personally handing him a copy of the divorce petition. If your spouse is nowhere to be found, this obviously isn't possible. In such a case, you petition the court for permission to use constructive service instead. Under Florida law, constructive service means publishing notice of your divorce action in a newspaper once a week for four consecutive weeks. You can't just pick a newspaper at random; it must be "qualified." Check with the family court clerk first before you publish to make sure the newspaper you've chosen is acceptable.

Diligent Search

The court will not permit you to use constructive service unless you prove that you looked for your spouse, and that you looked hard. You must conduct a diligent search for him. Florida has a special form you must complete – an Affidavit of Diligent Search and Inquiry. File the affidavit with your petition seeking permission to serve your spouse by publication. The form asks you to check off exactly what methods you used to try to find your spouse. For example, you must ask the post office for a current address and contact your spouse's relatives, his last known employer and local police. You must also ask the Department of Motor Vehicles for his last known address, and you should also check for a death certificate in case he's no longer living. After you've completed your search, you can file your petition and the affidavit with the same county court where you filed your divorce petition. If everything is in order, the court will give you permission to publish your notice.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Default Decree

If your spouse is no longer living in the circulation area of the newspaper you've chosen, he probably won't know that you've published notice of your divorce action. This doesn't matter – the fact that you've properly published the notice still constitutes service of process. If he doesn't file a response to your divorce petition within 20 days after your last published notice, you can ask the court to grant you a divorce by default by filing a motion requesting this. The court will advise you of a date for the default hearing.


You'll get your divorce at the default hearing, but you may not be able to achieve much more than this if your spouse is missing. Constructive service doesn't give the court jurisdiction over him the same way personal service does. This means the court can’t make certain decisions that legally bind him. For example, if you have children, a judge can't order child support in a default hearing because if your spouse doesn't know that support has been ordered, he can't be held responsible for not paying it. Likewise, the court can't order alimony for you or even address issues of property division. You're free to move on with the rest of your life, however, because you will have a final divorce decree.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to File for Divorce in South Carolina When the Spouse's Residence Is Unknown


Related articles

How to Restart the Divorce Process in Michigan With Kids

You can either pause or stop your divorce action in Michigan if you change your mind about moving forward. If you submit a Notice of Reconciliation to the Friend of the Court -- an administrative branch of the Michigan family court system -- the court will put your proceedings on hold for a period of time. You can either resume your divorce within that time and pick up where you left off or file an Order of Dismissal instead, terminating the proceedings. If you do the latter, how you may restart your divorce depends on how long you wait to do so.

How Soon Can I Get a Divorce After a Spouse is Served in Texas?

As in most states, how quickly you can get a Texas divorce depends on how complicated your divorce is, not how much time passes after you serve your spouse with the necessary divorce paperwork. Texas imposes a waiting period, but if you and your spouse have no property or children, or if you agree on every aspect of how you're going to end your marriage, you could be divorced a day after the waiting period ends. If you can't reach an agreement, your divorce will take much longer.

How to Find Out If I'm Legally Divorced

The only definitive way to know if you are divorced is to locate a decree. However, not being able to find a decree doesn’t necessarily mean you’re still married. It may simply mean that your spouse didn’t divorce you in the state and county where you think she did. Determining your marital status if you don’t know where your spouse is, and if you can’t ask her, is a little like hunting for the needle in the proverbial haystack.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Get Divorced if the Spouse's Location Is Unknown

Although it’s possible to divorce a missing spouse, technology and the Internet might make it possible to avoid ...

How to Place a Divorce Notice in a Newspaper

Although no law can force you to stay married to your spouse, he can make it difficult to divorce him if you can’t find ...

How to File for Divorce if I Can't Find My Spouse in New Hampshire

No state forces you to remain married just because you don’t know where your spouse is living. New Hampshire law ...

Filing a Divorce Notification for an Absent Spouse in Missouri

Missouri allows you to proceed with a divorce if you’ve lost track of your spouse's whereabouts, but you’ll have to ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED