How to Get a Divorce If You Are an Inmate in a State Prison in Georgia

By Elizabeth Stock

Divorce is the legal recognition that your marriage has ended. If you or your spouse is an inmate in a state prison in Georgia, either one of you can still file for divorce. However, to file for divorce in Georgia, you must follow the proper procedure including meeting the state’s residency requirements, filing a divorce complaint with the appropriate court, and serving the other spouse with a copy of the divorce complaint.

Residency Requirements

For a Georgia court to have jurisdiction over your divorce, you must satisfy Georgia’s residency requirements. According to Georgia law, you must live in a Georgia county for at least six months prior to filing for divorce in that county. A prison or jail is not considered your county of residence. You can file in the Georgia county where you lived prior to your imprisonment, as long as you resided there for a minimum of six months and still consider it you place of residence. If your spouse has lived in a Georgia county for at least six months, you can file for divorce in your spouse's county of residence.

Filing the Divorce Complaint

To begin a divorce proceeding in Georgia, file the divorce complaint with the appropriate superior court. Due to your prison status, you may ask your spouse or an attorney to initiate the divorce complaint. When completing the divorce complaint, you will have the option of choosing a ground for the divorce. Georgia permits both no-fault and fault grounds for divorce. The no-fault ground is that the marriage is irretrievably broken. A no-fault divorce does not require either spouse to prove anything to the court or to show one spouse’s wrongdoing to obtain a divorce. There are several possible at-fault grounds for divorce in Georgia. Under each fault ground for a divorce, there is a provision for when you can bring the lawsuit against your spouse to the court. In all cases, you will need to submit the appropriate filing fee with your divorce complaint. Depending on the county, the filing fee for a divorce in Georgia can range from $200 to $250. However, the court may waive the fee if you submit a fee waiver request due to your status as a prison inmate.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Service of Process

After you file the divorce complaint, you must serve a copy of the complaint on your spouse. Providing your spouse with a copy of the complaint provides her with notice of the pending legal action. You can serve your spouse by mail, have the sheriff serve her, or hire a private process server. If your spouse is in prison, contact the prison to determine how an inmate accepts service of process. If you cannot find your spouse after a diligent search, then you must obtain documents for service by publication.

Special Considerations

An incarcerated spouse is not able to attend the divorce hearing, unless he is to be released soon. Therefore, if you are not about to be released, you and your spouse should try to reach a settlement agreement on all the material aspects of your divorce, including the division of property and family support obligations, before you file the divorce complaint. As an inmate, you cannot request child custody. It may be difficult to discuss these matters when you are imprisoned; you can discuss them through the mail or during prison visiting hours.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Divorcing a South Carolina Inmate


Related articles

Do You Have to Be Separated in Indiana Before You Get Divorced?

While you do not need to be separated from your spouse prior to filing for divorce, you must live separately from your spouse for a minimum of 60 days before the court will grant the divorce. In addition, there are several requirements before you can file for divorce in Indiana. For example, you or your spouse must live in Indiana for at least six months and you or your spouse must live in the county where you file the divorce petition for at least three months.

Filing Divorce Papers in North Carolina Without Paying Court Costs

Filing for divorce can be expensive, forcing you to stay in an unhappy marriage if money is tight. However, if you cannot afford to pay the filing fee associated with filing for divorce in North Carolina, you can ask the court to waive the fees based upon your financial situation. Unfortunately, obtaining a waiver of the filing fee does not relieve you of the cost of any legal assistance you may require.

Can You Get a No Fault Divorce if the Spouse Is in Prison in Arkansas?

Arkansas does have a no-fault ground for divorce like other states, but not all marriage situations qualify to use it, even if one spouse is incarcerated. However, if you wish to divorce your spouse while he is in jail, you may qualify to file under fault grounds, though serving him with the divorce papers and finishing the case may be more complicated than if he was not in prison.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Texas Divorce Procedures for a Missing Spouse

There are times when a spouse wants a divorce, but the other spouse has either disappeared or moved out of state. The ...

Do it Yourself Georgia Divorce

Filing for a divorce in Georgia can be expensive if you hire an attorney to assist you. Depending on the complexity of ...

How to Get a Divorce When You Don't Know Where He Is in Haralson County, GA?

Filing for divorce in Haralson County, Georgia, when you are unable to locate your spouse requires additional ...

Requirements for a Divorce in a Kentucky Prison

Filing for divorce in Kentucky is a relatively straightforward process, with the steps largely influenced by your ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED