Divorce & Mortgage Indemnity

By Beverly Bird

A home mortgage is usually the most significant debt divorcing spouses share. Sometimes, one spouse cannot afford the payments without the other spouse's financial contribution. In this case, the most sensible thing to do is usually to sell the house and pay the mortgage off. However, if one spouse wants to keep the home, liability for the mortgage may become a big issue.

Decree Provisions

Mortgage indemnity clauses are common in divorce decrees when one spouse retains the home. However, even if your decree includes one, it may not offer you much protection. Such provisions generally only allow you to take your ex back to court if he falls behind on payments and you have to make them yourself to salvage your credit. Indemnity clauses are simply your ex's promise to hold you harmless from having to pay the mortgage. He has promised the divorce court that he’ll accept responsibility for the payments. Unfortunately, this promise doesn’t bind the mortgage company. Regardless of the terms of your decree, the lender can come after you for payment if your ex defaults. In this case, your only option is to make the payment yourself and utilize the indemnity clause to ask the court to make him reimburse you.


For added protection, you or your attorney can build extra language into your indemnity clause, or ask the court to do so if you’re divorced by trial rather than marital settlement agreement. You can include a requirement that your spouse must remove you from the mortgage. Generally, the only way to do this is through a refinance. Just as the lender can come after you for late payments even if you have an indemnity clause in your decree, it can also refuse to let you off the hook for future payments just because you’re divorced. You can usually only get your name off the mortgage if your ex replaces the joint mortgage with one in his sole name. This requires him to qualify based on his income alone.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


In exchange for turning responsibility for the mortgage over to your ex, he’s going to want sole title to the property. In divorce situations, you usually accomplish this with a quitclaim deed. This type of deed transfers your share of ownership in the property to your spouse. When you sign a quitclaim deed, you relinquish any and all interest you have in the property. However, even this doesn’t prohibit the mortgage company from pursuing you for payments if your ex doesn’t make them. Most attorneys will advise you not to sign the deed until your ex has actually achieved the refinance and you’re free and clear of any liability for the mortgage. However, some lenders won’t refinance until you’ve signed the deed. You can get around this by attending the closing on your ex’s new mortgage and signing it at that time.

Other Precautions

A successful indemnity clause depends on several sequential factors. Your spouse must promise to hold you harmless on the mortgage. He must agree to refinance to relieve you of any liability for it. Then he must actually do so. This may take months and there may be a window of time during which you’re still vulnerable. Even if you trust your ex implicitly, it’s a good idea to check your credit report occasionally while the process is playing out. Make sure he’s paying as he said he would. If he’s not, it’s better to find out when he’s only a payment or two in arrears than when he -- and by extension, you -- are facing foreclosure.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
What Can I Do if I'm Getting Divorced & Co-Signed on My Ex's Truck?


Related articles

What Happens if I Can't Make My House Payments in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?

Chapter 13 bankruptcy can give you a financial clean slate by erasing certain debts and giving you a chance to catch up on your payments. However, your mortgage is generally not one of the debts erased by bankruptcy. If you cannot stay current with all your house payments during your Chapter 13 bankruptcy, your lender can foreclose on your home.

Can I Assume a Mortgage After Divorce?

Two incomes are better than one when it comes to making mortgage payments. Divorcing couples become well aware of this fact when struggling over who will continue making mortgage payments on their marital residence. Even though a divorce decree may be relatively easy to obtain when both spouses are agreeable, getting a lender to agree to a mortgage assumption or modification of the terms of a loan may be more difficult.

How Does Reaffirmation in Bankruptcy Work?

Bankruptcy is about fresh starts. Filing for Chapter 7 protection allows your bankruptcy trustee to liquidate property you own outright, without liens, and apportion the proceeds among your creditors, although you can use exemptions to protect some property. You have to qualify by meeting certain income requirements, but if you do, bankruptcy legally erases any debts the trustee can't pay through liquidation. The bankruptcy process discharges them and you're not liable for paying them any longer – unless you reaffirm them.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Transfer a Mortgage During a Divorce

As much as you might like to simply sign your name and walk away from your mortgage if your ex gets the house as part ...

How to Remove the Responsibility for Mortgage Payments in a California Divorce

When you contract for a mortgage, there are only two ways to eliminate your responsibility for paying it: you can ...

How to Be Released From a Mortgage in a Divorce

For many divorcing couples, their home is the biggest asset to be split -- and the biggest debt. Even spouses who can ...

Release of Former Spouse From Liability on a Joint Vehicle After Divorce

If the court awards you the family car in the divorce settlement, it may give you the car loan, too. If you and your ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED