How to Get a Divorce Out of State

By Beverly Bird

If your marriage is headed for divorce, filing in another state might offer some advantages. The laws might allow finalization of your divorce more quickly than your current jurisdiction. You might want to move because your marriage has ended, and you don’t want to wait to relocate until it is officially over. The divorce process in most states is very similar, but some practical considerations apply.

Step 1

Speak with your spouse if you have children, and you want to take them with you. Most states will not allow you to relocate with your children without your spouse’s consent or the approval of the court.

Step 2

Write out your agreement with your spouse if he consents to your move with your children. Have it signed and notarized or have an attorney draft it and file it with the court on your behalf. Using an attorney is preferable, because if your spouse later contends that you didn't have his legal permission, a court might order your children to come home.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

File a motion with the court asking for permission, if your spouse does not agree to let you move with your children. This will probably prompt a custody hearing. If you don’t want to file for divorce in your current state and have custody issues heard by a judge that way, most states allow you to file a lawsuit just to address custody matters.

Step 4

Establish residency in the state you’re moving to. All states require that you live there a minimum period of time before you can file a divorce complaint or petition. In Nevada, this is only six months. Other states, such as Maryland and Massachusetts, require you to live there for an entire year if your grounds, or the reason you’re breaking up, happened elsewhere. Check your prospective state’s website to find out what rules apply there.

Step 5

File for divorce after you’ve established residency. This process also varies from state to state, but in all jurisdictions, you must file a complaint or petition to get the process started. Speak with an attorney in your new area to make sure you understand the procedure, even if you don’t want to retain him to handle your entire divorce.

Step 6

Arrange to have your spouse served with your papers after you’ve filed for divorce. All states require that you give your spouse a copy of your petition. Acceptable methods also vary between jurisdictions, so check your state’s website to find out what applies in your new location. Your new state’s rules would govern the process, not those where you used to live. If your new state requires service by a sheriff’s officer, you’ll have to contact the department in your former state to have this accomplished. Some states will allow you to serve your spouse by certified mail.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Leaving the State After Filing for Divorce


Related articles

How to Change Your Last Name in Illinois

Changing your last name due to marriage or divorce is relatively simple in Illinois: you need only present your marriage or divorce certificate to the authorities that issued your identity documents in your old name, and obtain replacement documents reflecting your new name. Changing your last name for other reasons is a bit more complex, but is still quite manageable: you will have to complete several forms and pay filing fees and petition a court for a name change order.

How to Divorce a Wife That Left the State

When a wife has left the state, it is still possible to file for divorce. Often, a couple may file for divorce in either spouse's state of residence. That said, most states have length of residency requirements, so if your wife recently moved, you may need to file for divorce in your home state. Further, although you may have the choice of where to file for divorce, consider logistical factors when choosing a jurisdiction. For example, choosing your wife’s state of residence may be costly and inconvenient in contested cases where the court will need to hold a trial.

How to Change Custody of a Minor in New Jersey

After parents separate or divorce, life goes on; children grow older and their needs change. Parents move on, too, establishing new relationships or moving on to new jobs. Eventually, changed circumstances might require alterations in the custody terms. All states allow parents an opportunity to modify custody orders. In New Jersey, there's an easy way and a hard way to accomplish this.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Divorce & Jurisdiction

State laws vary when it comes to obtaining a divorce, so it may be tempting to file for divorce in the state with the ...

How to Get a Divorce When One Spouse Won't Agree

No one can stop you from getting a divorce if you want one, with the possible exception of the court. If you don’t ...

How to Leave the State of Utah With a Child Due to Divorce

Whether you are planning on leaving the state of Utah before or after filing for divorce, moving may complicate your ...

Moving Out of State in the Middle of a Custody Battle in Texas

If you’re in the middle of active custody litigation, Texas courts won’t take it well if you suddenly move out of state ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED