How to Divorce in PA After Two Years When a Spouse Does Not Agree on Settlement

By Michael Butler

If you file for a no-fault divorce in Pennsylvania, you can get a divorce in six months if you and your spouse are in agreement. However, if the two of you disagree, you must wait at least two years from the date you and your spouse separated. After the two-year waiting period, you can ask the court to grant a divorce.

Step 1

Write and sign an affidavit of two-year separation. This is a sworn statement under the penalty of perjury that you and your spouse have been separated for at least two years. The date of separation is not necessarily the date you filed for divorce. Generally, it is the date you stopped living with your spouse.

Step 2

Draft a Petition for a Decree of Divorce and attach the affidavit to it. The petition sets out what you want from the court. It can be a short statement that incorporates your affidavit by reference.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

File the petition with the clerk of the court where you filed for divorce and serve a certified copy on your spouse. If your spouse does not respond, the court can grant you a default judgment of divorce. If your spouse does respond and denies the separation, the court will schedule a hearing to decide the matter.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Motion of Default in a Divorce in Illinois


Related articles

How to Get a Non-Contested Divorce in Illinois

What Are the Laws When Separating From a Spouse in Connecticut?

Can You Write Your Own Divorce and Just Have It Notorized in the State of Pennsylvania?

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

North Carolina Divorce a Year After Separating or Signing a Separation Agreement

How to File a Divorce in South Carolina

Legal Separation in West Virginia

How to File For a Non-Contested, No Children Divorce in Alabama

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED