Divorce Papers for Washington State

By Wayne Thomas

Even in cases where a couple agrees to get divorced, the process can seem like it takes forever. This is due in part to the amount of paperwork that must first be filled out, filed and then served on the other spouse. In Washington state, the required documents can differ depending on whether the couple has minor children and whether the parties can reach an agreement or need a trial. Knowing which documents are necessary and when they should be filed will help avoid time-consuming delays in the Washington divorce process.

Overview of Divorce Initiation Paperwork

In Washington, certain documents are required by the court in order to initiate the divorce process. This includes the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and Summons, as well as a Confidential Information Form and forms that attest that the other spouse is not on active military duty. In addition, some counties require a case schedule, and victims of domestic violence may file for a protection from abuse order. Once the initial divorce paperwork has been filed, the documents must be served on the other spouse. This can be accomplished personally by an adult other than yourself, or by mail if your spouse is willing to sign an Acceptance of Service form. After personal service, a Return of Service form indicating the time and place of service as well as who served the papers must be filed with the court. The responding spouse then has 20 days to answer the petition in the form of a written response.

Forms for a Couple With Minor Children

Additional forms must accompany the divorce petition in Washington if a couple has minor children, including proposed parenting plans and child support worksheets. Your proposed parenting plan will indicate what type of custody arrangement you desire, and if and why your spouse's contact with your child should be limited. The child support worksheet asks for the incomes of both parties as well as child care and health care expenses. This information will form the basis for the judge to determine the amount of child support.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Required Forms if a Couple Can Agree

If a couple can reach agreement on the major issues of their divorce, they can file a proposed Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law form. This form would follow the filing of the divorce complaint and tells the judge the specifics of how the marital property will be divided, agreed-upon amounts for child support and alimony, as well as indicating that the parties meet the Washington residency requirements. The court also requests that the parties submit a divorce decree that contains the specific order for divorce and includes additional obligations of the parties for the judge to sign.

When a Couple Cannot Agree

If a couple cannot come to agreement on the major issues related to their divorce, the matter will go to trial to be decided by a judge. Because this process can take time and creates uncertainty, one or both spouses may file temporary orders requesting certain alimony or child support amounts as well as custody arrangements that will remain in effect until the divorce decree is entered. In addition, often witnesses are necessary to provide testimony at trial and can be ordered to appear by the filing of a subpoena.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
A Stipulation for Temporary Order for a Divorce


Related articles

New York Divorce Papers

Completing and filing the appropriate paperwork can help minimize unnecessary delays in the divorce process. In New York, if couples can agree on the major issues of divorce, the matter can proceed as uncontested and avoid trial. In these simplified cases, the courts provide online access to the required forms as well as instructions to help parties dissolve their marriage without the assistance of an attorney.

Uncontested Divorce Documents and Requirements in Illinois

Conflict is often at the center of a divorce. If a couple can come to an agreement regarding how to end their marriage, however, they may be eligible for a faster and less cumbersome process. This is known as an uncontested divorce, and qualifying requires that you and your spouse have every aspect of your divorce resolved and incorporated in a marital settlement agreement.

How to Change Your Last Name in Texas

Residents of Texas who are over 18 years old can change their name by filing forms in the District Court of the county where they reside. The Texas Family Code outlines the requirements for name changes and restrictions for those who have criminal records. Forms to begin the name change process are available online.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Finalize a Divorce in Califonia

In order to move on from an unsuccessful marriage, a divorce must be finalized. In California, this process can take ...

How to File Your Own Divorce Papers in Tennessee

In order to file for divorce in Tennessee, you must draw up the necessary papers, file them with a court clerk, have ...

Documents for Divorce & Alimony

Divorces necessarily involve the exchange of information. The bulk of this exchange is generally handled outside the ...

How to File a Response to Divorce Papers in California

Either spouse has the option of terminating a marriage in California regardless of the desires of the other spouse. So ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED