Divorce Process in Florida

By Beverly Bird

Like some other states, Florida has decided that "divorce" is a dirty word. When you end your marriage in the state, it’s a "dissolution." The state requires mandatory steps you must take along the way, most of them designed to help you avoid a trial. However, some couples can bypass these requirements if they’re in agreement to do so.


The opening document for a divorce in Florida is a petition for dissolution of marriage. If you file, you’re the petitioner. You must file the petition with the circuit court, and you must be a resident of the state for at least six months in order to do so. Florida has two grounds, or legally permissible reasons, to end your marriage. Either the marriage must be “irretrievably broken,” or your spouse must be mentally incapacitated for a period of three years or more.


After your spouse receives your petition for dissolution, she has a limited period of time within which to respond. Within 20 days, she should file some form of answering document with the court. She can file an answer, either denying that your marriage is broken or admitting to it, and agreeing to or opposing the things you’ve asked for in your petition. She also has the option of filing a counter-petition, itemizing her own requests for how she wants to end the marriage.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Getting the Facts

After you file your petition with the court and your spouse answers it with a document of her own, Florida law requires you to exchange Family Law Financial Affidavits within 45 days. This form discloses your income, assets, liabilities and budget. After you’ve done this and submitted copies to the court, you can ask the court for a hearing to set temporary orders while your dissolution is in progress. These might include a request for child support, spousal support or a visitation schedule so you can see your children.

Parenting Class

If you have children, Florida requires you to take two additional steps toward the dissolution of your marriage. You must attend a court-sponsored parenting class to help you handle the dissolution in the best way possible for your children. When you’ve completed the class, you must submit a parenting plan to the court, explaining your custody and visitation arrangement, or you must tell the court that you’ve been unable to agree to one so a judge can decide the issue for you.

Trial or Settlement

Unless you have a domestic violence restraining order in place between you, some Florida counties require you to attend mediation if you can’t come to a settlement on all issues regarding your divorce. Florida law also recognizes the collaborative divorce process, where you, your spouse, your attorneys and financial and custody experts work together to iron out the details of your dissolution. If mediation and collaborative attempts fail, you’ll proceed to trial.

Other Options

If you and your spouse have no children, if your spouse is not pregnant, and if neither of you is asking for alimony, you can mutually waive the requirement that you exchange financial affidavits. If you can reach an agreement resolving all financial and property issues between you without the intervention of the court, Florida offers a special petition for this process, called a simplified dissolution of marriage.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Florida Divorce Paperwork Checklist


Related articles

What Is the Process for Getting a Divorce in GA?

Most states share similar divorce procedures. In all jurisdictions, a complaint for divorce is required to begin the proceedings. One spouse must file it with the court, and in most cases, the other spouse will answer it. The two parties then exchange financial information and either reach a settlement or go to trial for a judge to decide the terms of their divorce for them. Georgia also requires special attention to parenting issues during the divorce process.

Oregon Admininstrative Rules for Divorce & Assets

Oregon offers a few options for divorce, which is called a "dissolution of marriage" in this state. Oregon is a pure no-fault state; you do not have the option to use fault grounds for divorce. Spouses who own no real estate and less than $30,000 in personal property qualify for a simpler divorce known as a "summary dissolution." If you own more than that, you can either file a co-petition for dissolution with your spouse, or you can file a regular petition for dissolution to begin the divorce process.

Types of Pleadings in a Divorce

Like any legal matter, divorces can generate reams of paperwork. It can be a bit overwhelming, especially when terminology and requirements vary from state to state. The good news is that most states follow similar guidelines for pleadings. The bad news is that individual states sometimes call the same pleadings by different names.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Florida Contested Divorce Procedures

A contested divorce doesn’t necessarily mean you and your spouse disagree on every issue involved in ending your ...

Contested Divorces in Georgia

Even if you and your spouse agree that your marriage is over, the courts still consider your divorce contested if you ...

Does the State of Florida Recognize "Abandonment" as a Reason for Divorce?

All states recognize no-fault divorce, but many states also allow spouses to file on fault grounds such as abandonment. ...

How to File a Simple Divorce in Florida

Florida is one of a few states that allows you to bypass an expensive, time-consuming divorce process if you and your ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED