How to Divorce Someone Who Was Deported

By Teo Spengler

Divorcing a spouse who has been deported involves more time and effort than divorcing a spouse who lives down the block. Since the steps to pursue a divorce are governed by state law, you must follow the same procedures as for any other divorce. However, serving the initial papers on your deported spouse may present more of a challenge.

Divorce Procedure

A divorce begins when one spouse initiates a divorce action by filing the required documents in state court. It ends when the court enters a judgment of divorce. All states have procedures for default judgments if the other spouse fails to respond after being properly served notice of the action. The same steps generally apply to divorcing a deported spouse as an in-state spouse, except that service of process may be more difficult.

Serving Divorce Papers

Your spouse has a legal right to be informed about the divorce proceedings so that he has an opportunity to appear in person or through an attorney. As the party seeking divorce, you must serve the summons and dissolution petition on your spouse. Generally, service is accomplished by having a third person who is not a party to the litigation personally hand a copy of the documents to your spouse; this is called personal service. However, service may be more difficult with a deported spouse and depends on your relationship with your spouse, his home country and whether you need to enforce the decree in that country.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Foreign Enforcement of Judgment

Before you can decide how to serve process on your spouse, you need to determine whether it is sufficient for an American court to enforce the divorce decree or whether you also need the courts in your spouse's home country to do so. If the two of you have no children or assets and you are not seeking support from your spouse, a state court judgment of divorce is likely to suffice to simply dissolve your marriage. However, if your spouse has the children or marital property with him, you will probably need to rely on the courts in his country to help enforce the decree.

Serving Process Abroad

If you do not need the divorce judgment enforced in your spouse's country, you can use state procedures to serve him. You can mail the papers to your spouse and ask him to sign an acknowledgment of receipt. Alternatively, you can hire a process server in your spouse's home country to hand him the papers. However, if you do need the judgment enforced by the courts in your spouse's home county, you must use a method of service recognized by that country. In that case, you probably need legal assistance to determine the treaties or rules that govern foreign service in the country in question and how to comply with them.

Missing Spouse

It is also possible to divorce if you can't locate your deported spouse. Most states have procedures allowing alternative service in this circumstance, like service by publication where notice of the action is published for successive weeks in a newspaper. To qualify for service by publication, you must convince the judge that you’ve made a diligent effort to locate your spouse. In some states, like California, you cannot resolve any property or child custody issues in a divorce where service is made by publication, but you can dissolve the marriage.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Divorce a Person Out of the Country



Related articles

What if Your Spouse Refuses to Be Served Divorce Papers in NY State?

If you are seeking a divorce in the state of New York and your spouse refuses to receive the papers, you may still obtain a divorce. Despite a refusal to accept papers, there are methods by which divorce papers can be served that eliminate the need for acceptance. As such, service will be effected and the divorce can proceed.

How to Divorce a Wife That Left the State

When a wife has left the state, it is still possible to file for divorce. Often, a couple may file for divorce in either spouse's state of residence. That said, most states have length of residency requirements, so if your wife recently moved, you may need to file for divorce in your home state. Further, although you may have the choice of where to file for divorce, consider logistical factors when choosing a jurisdiction. For example, choosing your wife’s state of residence may be costly and inconvenient in contested cases where the court will need to hold a trial.

How to Get a Divorce When Your Spouse Isn't a U.S. Citizen and Left the Country

If you are married to a non-U.S. citizen and want to get divorced, you can even if your spouse is no longer in the United States. The divorce process itself is the same as it is to divorce a U.S. resident; however, the rules to serve your spouse with notice of the divorce proceedings are different.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Serve Military Personnel With Divorce Papers

Military courts cannot grant divorces, so military couples must get divorced in state courts following the same basic ...

Texas Divorce Laws When a Respondent Cannot Be Located

The typical divorce process requires you to serve your spouse with divorce papers, but you may not be able to get the ...

How to Divorce an Illegal That Was Deported From the U.S. to Mexico

The procedures for divorcing an illegal immigrant who has been deported to Mexico are not that different from divorcing ...

How to Divorce an Illegal Immigrant

Illegal immigrants have almost the same legal rights as citizens in the U.S. -- at least with regard to marriage and ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED