How to Get a Divorce When Your Spouse Isn't a U.S. Citizen and Left the Country

By Michael Butler

If you are married to a non-U.S. citizen and want to get divorced, you can even if your spouse is no longer in the United States. The divorce process itself is the same as it is to divorce a U.S. resident; however, the rules to serve your spouse with notice of the divorce proceedings are different.

Step 1

Go to the U.S. Department of State website and read the rules for service of process in foreign countries. The rules for different countries are different depending if a country has entered into a treaty to which the United States is a party. Generally, for service to be valid in a U.S. court, it must be valid in the country in which you are serving your spouse. Different countries have different rules. You may be able to serve by mail, by a designated foreign agent or by publication depending on the country.

Step 2

Fill out your divorce petition to include your name and address, your spouse's name and his address if you know it, when and where you were married, why the court has jurisdiction, your legal grounds for divorce, and a prayer for relief -- a request to the court for specific remedies that is normally written in the concluding paragraph of a petition or motion. Different states require different items in divorce petitions. Read the rules for your state.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

File the petition with the clerk of the court and get a file-stamped copy.

Step 4

Serve the file-stamped copy on your spouse according to the rules for service of process in your state and in the foreign country. The rest of the divorce process is the same as it would be for divorcing a U.S. resident. However, it may take longer. If your spouse does not return to the United States to appear in court, the judge may grant you a default judgment of divorce.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Divorce a Person Out of the Country


Related articles

How to File an Extension for a Divorce

Courts are generally busy with many cases on their dockets, so they like to keep everything moving according to set timelines. However, courts are often generous in granting extensions for a final divorce hearing in cases where the parties are attempting to settle their differences concerning property or child custody. Courts are even more generous in granting extensions when the parties are attempting to reconcile. If you want to extend the time before your divorce is granted, you can ask the court if it will allow it.

Divorce to an Immigrant That Has Been Deported

Deportation of an immigrant spouse disrupts the marital relationship. Unless the remaining spouse leaves the country to join the deported spouse, she has few options: She can wait for years to determine if the deported spouse might be allowed to return to the United States, or file for divorce. Divorcing an immigrant who has been deported is likely to require special steps to establish court jurisdiction and to create a legally effective notice of the divorce filing.

How to Answer a Summons for Modification of Alimony

If your ex-spouse has filed a motion with the court to modify alimony and you disagree, you must file an answer to the summons you received. If you do not respond, the court will issue a default judgment in your ex-spouse's favor and she will get what she wants. How to answer a summons will depend on where you live and what the summons says.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File a Trial Brief for Divorce

Filing a divorce trial brief is different in different states and different counties within each state. This is because ...

Can You Divorce & Remarry Without a Green Card?

Green card holders have permanent resident status in the U.S. and can remain in the country indefinitely without a ...

Do Divorce Papers Expire if Not Served?

Divorce involves an intricate series of rules -- and many of them come with deadlines. Service of process is one such ...

How to Divorce an Illegal That Was Deported From the U.S. to Mexico

The procedures for divorcing an illegal immigrant who has been deported to Mexico are not that different from divorcing ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED