How to Divorce a Wife That Left the State

By Anna Green

When a wife has left the state, it is still possible to file for divorce. Often, a couple may file for divorce in either spouse's state of residence. That said, most states have length of residency requirements, so if your wife recently moved, you may need to file for divorce in your home state. Further, although you may have the choice of where to file for divorce, consider logistical factors when choosing a jurisdiction. For example, choosing your wife’s state of residence may be costly and inconvenient in contested cases where the court will need to hold a trial.

Petition Requirements

Regardless of whether you choose to file for divorce in your wife's new state or your home state, you will generally need to prepare a petition to begin the divorce process. The exact requirements for a divorce petition vary from state to state, but in most jurisdictions, a petition must list both spouses’ names, dates of birth, information about children and all parties' addresses. Further, the petition will usually need to include your date and location of marriage, and reasons for filing for divorce. Although each state has different grounds under which a spouse may file for divorce, all states have some type of no-fault divorce. This means a couple can divorce without alleging that either party committed any wrongdoing, such as adultery or abandonment. That said, in some states, a spouse is able to file for divorce by reason of abandonment, adultery or other wrongful act. Before preparing a petition, verify what grounds for divorce your chosen jurisdiction allows.

Filing the Petition

Whether you file for divorce in your home state or your wife’s new state, you will need to file a copy of the divorce petition and proof of service with the court clerk. Each court has its own filing requirements, however. If you choose to file in your wife’s jurisdiction, you may be able to file the petition by mail and pay the filing fee either by money order or via the court clerk’s website. If you file in your home state, then generally, you can file the paperwork with the court either in person or by mail.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Service of Process

After preparing the divorce petition, you will typically need to serve your wife with the divorce papers. Each state makes its own rules, but many jurisdictions will allow a party to serve an out-of-state spouse by certified mail. Alternatively, in many instances, a husband may retain a process server in the wife’s new state, mail the petition to the process server and have the document hand-delivered. A court clerk, divorce attorney or legal aid service can help you determine what methods of service are permitted by the state where you are filing your paperwork.

Locating a Missing Spouse

If you do not know your spouse’s new address or whereabouts, it is still possible to file for divorce, but it will generally prolong the process. In some states, you can petition the court to serve your wife divorce papers using alternate procedures. For example, alternative service may include publishing notice of the divorce in the newspaper. Alternative service options vary from state to state, however, and may not be approved until you have exhausted all other efforts to locate your spouse.

Procedural Issues

After you file your paperwork with the court, you will receive a hearing date. If your wife agrees to the divorce, however, the court may be able to grant your divorce without a hearing. If your wife objects to the divorce, the case will likely go to trial. During the trial, both you and your wife will have an opportunity to submit evidence and present the judge with your respective arguments and counter-arguments.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Divorce & Jurisdiction



Related articles

How to Get a Divorce When Your Spouse Isn't a U.S. Citizen and Left the Country

If you are married to a non-U.S. citizen and want to get divorced, you can even if your spouse is no longer in the United States. The divorce process itself is the same as it is to divorce a U.S. resident; however, the rules to serve your spouse with notice of the divorce proceedings are different.

How to Divorce Someone Who Was Deported

Divorcing a spouse who has been deported involves more time and effort than divorcing a spouse who lives down the block. Since the steps to pursue a divorce are governed by state law, you must follow the same procedures as for any other divorce. However, serving the initial papers on your deported spouse may present more of a challenge.

How to Divorce When the Wife Is Not Willing

Divorce can often become more stressful if you would like to end your marriage but your spouse does not. However, you can still obtain a divorce even if your wife does not want one. Although many divorce procedures remain the same regardless of whether your wife cooperates, you can try to increase the likelihood of your wife's participation. In addition, before filing for divorce, you should research the divorce procedures, including default options, followed by your own state. A default case would allow you to obtain a divorce on your own terms if your wife fails to respond to your divorce filing in a timely manner.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File a Divorce in Your State of Residency While in the Military

Military members must get divorced in state civilian courts, and the basic divorce steps are similar whether the ...

Do it Yourself Georgia Divorce

Filing for a divorce in Georgia can be expensive if you hire an attorney to assist you. Depending on the complexity of ...

Do-it-Yourself Divorce Documents for Michigan

Like other states, Michigan allows divorcing couples to file their own paperwork with the court without the assistance ...

How Does a Spouse Get Served for a Divorce in Broward County?

After you file a divorce petition in Broward County, Florida, you must provide your spouse with a copy of the filed ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED