How to Get Divorced in California if Your Husband Is in Jail

By Ciele Edwards

Provided you have been a California resident for at least six months, you have the right to divorce your husband – regardless of whether or not he is imprisoned at the time. You do not need to cite specific reasons for requesting a divorce. At one time, conviction of a felony was a ground for divorce in California, but this is no longer the case. California's no-fault divorce law allows any married individual who meets the residency requirements to obtain a divorce under grounds of irreconcilable differences.

The Divorce Petition

To begin the divorce process, you must file a divorce petition. According to California residency requirements, you must reside in the county in which you file the petition for three months preceding the filing. You may request a divorce petition from your county's superior court or your attorney, if you have one. The form requests information about your marriage, any children you and your husband have and your debts and assets. In addition to basic information about the life you and your spouse once shared, you must also enter your property and child custody requests on the initial petition. Fill out the petition carefully as you cannot change your requests after filing the paperwork.

Serving the Petition

After you file the divorce petition with the court, the court will issue you a summons. You must serve your imprisoned husband with both a copy of the divorce petition and the summons. You may request the sheriff's office serve the paperwork or hire a registered process server to deliver the paperwork to your husband in jail. You will need your husband's full name and date of birth. If you have your husband's California Department of Corrections number, providing this information helps facilitate proper service.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

The Hearing

Your husband has 30 days to respond to the summons and divorce petition. If he does not respond, the judge will grant your requests in the final judgment after a period of six months. If your imprisoned spouse responds and contests the divorce, the process could take much longer. Although California law does not give a prisoner the absolute right to be physically present at any hearings related to the divorce, your spouse can file a motion with the court and request this right.


Your husband's incarceration does not deprive him of his basic rights during a divorce. Because of this, you must follow California law, which requires that you not remove your children from the state during the divorce proceedings without a court order or written consent from your husband. You also cannot alter your children or spouse's insurance coverage or dispose of property unless you must do so to pay for basic necessities or conduct business.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Legal Name Change Options



Related articles

Divorce Decrees in Oklahoma

A divorce decree serves to officially dissolve a marriage and determine the terms of the divorce, including alimony, property division, child custody and support. How long it takes to get a decree in Oklahoma depends on the circumstances of your case and whether you and your spouse can agree to the terms of the divorce. Once the decree is in place, if circumstances change, you may ask the court to modify its terms.

Can an Inmate Be Served Divorce Papers While in Prison in California?

California divorces follow the same general process whether a spouse is jailed or free. An inmate is not treated differently from any other defendant, as far as divorce is concerned. However, serving your incarcerated spouse with divorce papers, restraining orders or other legal documents requires the cooperation of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

How to Change a Name After a Marriage in Michigan

In Michigan, residents and non-residents can apply for a marriage license in a county clerk’s office if they fulfill the state's statutory requirements. If you want to change your name to your spouse’s name or hyphenate your name, you must wait until the county clerk issues a marriage license.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to Get a Divorce If You Are an Inmate in a State Prison in Georgia

Divorce is the legal recognition that your marriage has ended. If you or your spouse is an inmate in a state prison in ...

How to Change Your Last Name in Maryland

People seek to change their last names for a variety of reasons. You may have gotten married or divorced, or simply ...

How Long Does It Take to Start & End Divorce Papers in Arizona?

If you’ve lived in your Arizona county for at least 90 days, you can file for divorce there even if your spouse lives ...

California Requirements to Legally Change a Person's Name

People change their names for a variety of reasons, including marriage, divorce, or adoption. Changing your name in the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED