How to Get Divorced in Tennessee

By Wayne Thomas

A divorce ends a valid marriage in Tennessee. Provided you can meet the state eligibility requirements, the process starts with you selecting a legally recognized basis for divorce. The court is then tasked with ensuring that marital property is divided fairly between you and your spouse, and that child support awards and custody arrangements promote the best interests of your children. If you can work things out with your spouse, you may resolve these issues by mutual agreement. If you cannot agree, the court must make these determinations and issue an order after hearing evidence from both parties.


You or your spouse must have a connection with Tennessee in order to obtain a divorce in the state. This is referred to as the residency requirement, which may be established in one of two ways. First, residency is established if the grounds for divorce occurred while you were living in the state, regardless of how long you have resided in Tennessee. Alternatively, if the grounds occurred while you were living out of state, residency is established if you or your spouse have lived in the state for the previous six months. A divorce is initiated by filing a complaint in the chancery or circuit court in the county where either your spouse lives or where you were separated. If your spouse is not a resident of the state, you may file in the county where you currently reside.


In drafting the complaint, you must specify a ground for divorce. Tennessee recognizes both no-fault as well as traditional fault grounds for divorce. No-fault divorce includes both irreconcilable differences and voluntary separation for a period of two years. Filing under the ground of irreconcilable differences requires that you have entered into a written agreement with your spouse regarding property and child custody and support, often referred to as an "uncontested" divorce. To file under voluntary separation, you must have maintained separate residences for the separation period and not have any minor children. Fault grounds must be proved in court and include adultery, abandonment and extreme cruelty.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More


Once your complaint has been filed, your spouse is entitled to receive notice of the action and a copy of your divorce papers. This is referred to as service of process, which must be done by someone over 18 in Tennessee, often by a professional process server or Sheriff, unless waived in writing by your spouse. After service is complete, your spouse then has 30 days to file a written response, referred to as an answer, and the divorce may move forward at that time. If your spouse fails to respond within the timeframe, he is considered in default and the case will progress without his participation.

Final Hearing

A divorce is not considered final until you receive a judgment of divorce from the court. In Tennessee, this cannot be sooner than 60 days after filing the complaint if you have no minor children, or 90 days if you have children. If your spouse is in default for failure to respond, or you and your spouse have reached complete agreement, the divorce hearing is typically the next and final step. At the hearing, a judge will either order the default divorce or, in uncontested cases, review your written agreement and issue the divorce decree after ensuring the agreement is fair and promotes the best interests of your children. If you disagree, the court will need to hold a trial. Either party may request temporary orders for spousal support and child custody and support while the case is pending, and the court may order you to attend mediation to resolve contested matters. If you are alleging fault grounds, such as adultery, you will have to prove that the event occurred to the satisfaction of the judge. This often requires the testimony of witnesses and presentation of other evidence, which must be furnished to the other side in advance of trial through a process known as discovery.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to File for Divorce in Virginia Without a Lawyer


Related articles

How to Get a Divorce in Virginia When a Spouse Is Contesting

Finding common ground in a divorce action is not always easy. For divorcing couples in Virginia who cannot agree, the state has several requirements for successfully completing a contested divorce. The process begins by responding to the divorce petition, known as a Bill of Complaint in Virginia, and participating in a hearing with a divorce commissioner. Afterward, the case will then proceed to trial and be decided by a judge, once all pretrial matters have been completed.

How to Legally Separate in Tennessee

Tennessee recognizes legal separation which authorizes married couples to live apart. A legal separation is essentially the same as a divorce in Tennessee, except that the spouses cannot remarry. The grounds for separation are the same as the grounds for divorce, and the court can rule on all of the issues usually dealt with in a divorce, except for the dissolution of marriage. Child custody, financial support and distribution of assets can be incorporated into a legal separation decree.

How to Get a Divorce in Indiana Without an Attorney

Navigating the legal process in a divorce can be overwhelming. In Indiana, divorces are referred to as dissolution of marriage actions and require you to pay strict attention to many applicable laws and procedural rules. Although you are not required to hire an attorney, court officers are not allowed to provide you with legal advice. Knowing the basics of filing and how each stage of the dissolution process operates may help ensure that you are fully prepared if you decide to represent yourself in Indiana.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File Your Own Divorce Papers in Tennessee

In order to file for divorce in Tennessee, you must draw up the necessary papers, file them with a court clerk, have ...

Procedures for an Amicable Divorce in Maryland

Maryland offers an amicable divorce process for couples who can agree on all the terms of their divorce. This is known ...

How to File for Divorce in the State of Arkansas

In Arkansas, the requirements for divorce vary depending on how you were married. The state recognizes both standard ...

90 Day Cooling Off Period for a Divorce in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania requires a 90-day "cooling off" period for no-fault or "mutual consent" divorces, which provides an ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED