Documents Needed for the Respondents in a Divorce Summons

By Wayne Thomas

Receiving notice that your spouse filed for divorce can be a stressful experience. Most states require that the filing spouse have the other spouse personally served with the divorce paperwork, which typically includes both a summons and complaint. These documents provide a basic outline of the case and explain your initial responsibilities. Knowing how and when you must respond to this paperwork will help ensure your full participation in all aspects of the divorce process.

Response Document

The summons is your formal notification that your spouse filed for a divorce. The summons form varies by state. It might include information about your rights and the divorce process. The summons also lets you know how long you have to respond -- generally within 20 to 30 days -- in the form of a written answer, or response. Your answer must indicate whether you agree with the claims made in your spouse's complaint. These claims include statements such as where you were married and the grounds for the divorce. You may also need to respond to more complex issues in the complaint such as financial disclosures and specific requests for property and support. Forms to answer the summons are usually available at the court and on the court's website for downloading. Courts often provide the receiving spouse with legally compliant fill-in answer forms for convenience. If you use a fill-in form, you can attach additional pages if you disagree with statements in the complaint and need more room to explain. You can also file a counterclaim with your answer to ask for your own relief.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Answer Divorce Complaints in Georgia


Related articles

How to File an Answer to a Summons for Visitation

Although a summons can be a general notice to appear in court, within the context of a visitation proceeding, a summons often acts as a formal notice of proceedings that a party to a case will receive when he or she is served a visitation complaint or petition. The type of document the party receives will depend on whether the court has already established visitation, and visitation is being denied, or the other party wants to establish visitation. When you receive a summons for your visitation case, it will specify exactly how long you have to file a response. In many jurisdictions, it will be 20 days.

How to Finalize a Divorce With Children by Default in Florida

Divorce is known as "dissolution of marriage" in Florida. The procedure doesn't differ much if minor children are involved, but additional filings are required. It changes more significantly if you must finalize the proceedings by default.

Montana Divorce Laws: Response

A divorce is legal in nature. In Montana, the procedure operates like a traditional lawsuit, starting with the filing and service of a petition for divorce. You are required to respond to the petition, and the law specifies both the time you have to respond and the format that the response needs to take. Further, the court requires different forms depending on whether you have children and whether you and your spouse can reach agreement. Understanding how to properly and timely respond to a petition in Montana will help you avoid costly delays and ensure your continued participation throughout the divorce process.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File an Answer to a Divorce Summons

When you receive a Summons and Complaint in a divorce action, you typically have 20 days in which to respond. Your ...

Step-by-Step Instructions for Filing a Divorce in Kentucky

When you file for divorce in Kentucky, you must decide whether to hire an attorney or complete the divorce documents on ...

Divorce by Default

A divorce by default is one of the simplest ways to divorce. It generally occurs when one spouse doesn’t answer a ...

Can the Opposing Party File for Decree of Divorce?

An opposing party in a divorce case is called the respondent, because he responds to the initial petition that begins ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED