How to Draft a Counter Claim in a Divorce

By Beverly Bird

If your spouse has filed a complaint for divorce, it’s important that you answer it in some fashion. You don’t necessarily have to file a counterclaim in response, although laws vary from state to state. In most jurisdictions, you can simply file an answer, letting the court know you want to take an active part in the divorce proceedings. However, if you file a counterclaim as well, it acts as an insurance policy against your spouse canceling your divorce if she changes her mind.

Step 1

Visit your state’s judicial website. Many states offer free downloads of the divorce documents used in their courts. If your state doesn’t offer a form for a counterclaim, you can draft one of your own. A counterclaim is usually a two-part document, more commonly called an "answer and counterclaim" or an "answer and counter-complaint." The document includes a response to your spouse’s complaint -- or your answer -- plus your own complaint, which is the counterclaim or counter-complaint portion.

Step 2

Complete the answer part of your document. If you’ve downloaded a form for an answer and counterclaim, check off each box in the answer segment to indicate whether you agree or disagree with the corresponding paragraph in your spouse’s complaint. This is relatively easy, because your spouse’s paragraphs should be numbered. Simply match her numbered paragraphs to the numbers on your form.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Copy the caption and first paragraph of your spouse’s complaint, if you’re drafting your own answer and counterclaim. Beneath the first paragraph, list numbers for each of the paragraphs in your spouse's complaint. Next to each number, write “admitted,” if you agree with what she’s stated, or “denied,” if you do not.

Step 4

Write your counterclaim beneath the answer segment of your answer and counterclaim, if you’re drafting your own. After you’ve answered your spouse’s paragraphs in the first half of your document, write “counterclaim” in large bold letters. Beneath that, copy the same numbered paragraphs of her complaint to enter your own information. For example, her paragraph #1 might state the date of your marriage. You can copy this verbatim as your first counterclaim paragraph. Her paragraph #2 might state that she does not have enough income to live on her own. Your paragraph #2 would state that she does have sufficient income, unless you're willing to pay spousal support.

Step 5

Fill in the necessary information in the counterclaim segment of your document, if you’ve downloaded a form from the Internet. The form will prompt you for your answers, such as the date of your marriage and your grounds for divorce.

Step 6

Tell the court what you want from the divorce at the end of your document. In most states, this is called your “relief.” If you’re drafting your own document, you can copy the language from your spouse’s complaint but phrase it to name your own requests. For example, if she asks the court to award custody to her, you might use similar language to ask the court to award custody to you. If you’re using a downloaded form, you can simply check off the appropriate boxes, telling the court what you want.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Do Divorce Papers Reflect Adultery as the Reason?


Related articles

In Divorce, What Does It Mean to Have an Answer Filed?

You just received a complaint, or petition, for divorce from your spouse. Now you need to file an answer to the complaint within a certain amount of time, as dictated by your state's law. A failure to answer on time will be viewed as a default, which means any allegations posed against you may be deemed as evidence, and judgment could be entered against you.

Types of Pleadings in a Divorce

Like any legal matter, divorces can generate reams of paperwork. It can be a bit overwhelming, especially when terminology and requirements vary from state to state. The good news is that most states follow similar guidelines for pleadings. The bad news is that individual states sometimes call the same pleadings by different names.

How to Divorce in PA After Two Years When a Spouse Does Not Agree on Settlement

If you file for a no-fault divorce in Pennsylvania, you can get a divorce in six months if you and your spouse are in agreement. However, if the two of you disagree, you must wait at least two years from the date you and your spouse separated. After the two-year waiting period, you can ask the court to grant a divorce.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Do I Need to Do to Contest a No-Fault Divorce in Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania offers spouses more ways to get divorced than most states. In addition to several fault grounds, the state ...

What Is a Counterclaim for Divorce?

When your spouse serves you with divorce papers, the worst thing you can do is nothing. If you don't respond, you run ...

The Response to a Petition for Dissolution

Getting served with a petition for dissolution or divorce is unnerving at best, even if you're expecting it. You may ...

New York Laws on a Divorce Adultery Countersuit

New York has recognized no-fault grounds for divorce since 2010, but this doesn’t prevent a spouse from filing on fault ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED