How Easy Is It for a Mortgage Lender to Get a Deficiency Judgment in Maryland?

By Tom Streissguth

Foreclosure may not end a homeowner's financial troubles. The mortgage lender still has the option of filing a claim for a deficiency judgment, which allows the collection of any loan balance remaining after the sale. In Maryland, as elsewhere, there are legal procedures a creditor must follow in order to pursue a deficiency judgment, as well as deadlines on when he may file the claim.

Auditor's Report

In Maryland, the foreclosure process includes an auditor's report, which reviews the terms of the foreclosure sale and payment of the proceeds to creditors. If there is still a mortgage balance due after the foreclosure sale, a Maryland lender can pursue a deficiency judgment. State law allows the lender to pursue the deficiency either by filing a motion in the foreclosure case or by filing a separate lawsuit. The state also permits deficiency judgments after a short sale, in which the homeowner sells the property for less than the mortgage amount.

Deadline for Motion

Maryland rules on deficiency judgments allow any secured party or "party in interest" in a foreclosure action to file a Motion for Deficiency Judgment within three years of the final ratification of the auditor's report. The net proceeds of the sale, less costs and expenses, must be insufficient to pay the outstanding balance and accrued interest on the loan. In addition, state law requires the property to be sold at a public sale.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More

New Claim Deadlines

If the lender seeks a deficiency judgment through a separate lawsuit, then Maryland law sets a much longer deadline of 12 years; if the creditor wins a judgment, it then has 12 years to enforce the judgment and may renew the judgment for an additional 12 years. A new law passed by Maryland's General Assembly in early 2014 would shorten this initial filing deadline to three years, which is the state's statute of limitations on civil lawsuits. The law gives creditors a much shorter window to initiate a deficiency lawsuit in court. As of April 2014, the bill was awaiting the governor's signature to become law.

Relatively Easy Foreclosures

Maryland law makes foreclosure a relatively easy process for lenders. The state permits a shorter "power of sale" process, which in most cases allows a lender to foreclose on a home much more quickly than in states that use a "judicial" process. In addition, not all states permit deficiency judgments, and many have shorter deadlines than those set by Maryland law. California bans deficiency judgments in most cases, and Florida sets a limit of five years for a lender to pursue a deficiency in court.

Get a free, confidential bankruptcy evaluation. Learn More
Texas Deed of Trust Laws


Related articles

When Does the Bank Take Possession of a Home in Bankruptcy?

Banks cannot take possession of a home without a foreclosure proceeding. Foreclosure is not part of the bankruptcy proceedings, although it often occurs immediately thereafter. How bankruptcy and foreclosure play out with regard to whether or not you lose your house is determined by the type of bankruptcy proceeding, the location of the property and whether you have sufficient income to pay future mortgage payments.

Does Every Creditor File a Proof of Claim for Chapter 13?

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy allows a burdened debtor to escape collection actions and lawsuits brought by creditors. A court trustee sets up a repayment plan in which the debtor repays a percentage of his outstanding debts to all creditors who have filed a Proof of Claim form. Important rules in the bankruptcy code govern who needs to file a Proof of Claim to obtain repayment from the debtor.

How to Domesticate a Divorce in Florida

Once you have obtained a final judgment of divorce, you may decide to move to another state. Enforcing a final judgment is difficult enough when you are living in the state where it was issued; the difficulties attendant with enforcement are significantly greater once you move to another jurisdiction. Fortunately, most states, including Florida, allow you to use local courts to enforce a decree from another state. The process is known as domesticating your judgment and requires you to follow a few basic steps.

Related articles

Pros & Cons of Tax Lien Only Sales & Pre-Foreclosures in California

In California, home buyers can take some alternative routes to their goal of affordable real estate ownership. The ...

What Is a Trust Deed Sale?

A trust deed sale is the end result of the foreclosure process which a lender uses to recover the balance due on a ...

What Is a Deed of Trust With Assignment of Rents?

Some states refer to a voluntary lien against real property in exchange for money as a mortgage, while others refer to ...

What Happens When a Bank Charges Off Your HELOC After a Chapter 7 Discharge?

If you file for a chapter 7 bankruptcy, you are asking a federal court to protect you from collection actions and ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED