How to Enforce a Divorce Decree for College Expenses According To New Jersey Divorce Law

By Beverly Bird

If you divorce when your children are in grade school, college costs might be the last thing on your mind. However, many divorcing parents address college expenses in their marital settlement agreements, called property settlement agreements in New Jersey. PSAs are then incorporated into enforceable divorce decrees. This doesn't guarantee, however, that circumstances won't change in the intervening years affecting parents' ability and willingness to pay.

Terms of the Judgment

New Jersey is one of the more aggressive states in the country when it comes to enforcing divorce terms that provide for college costs. However, it's usually difficult at the time of your divorce to give the court something specific to enforce. If your child is young, you have no idea what school he'll eventually attend or what the tuition and costs will be at that time. Therefore, most property settlement agreements and divorce decrees – called divorce judgments in New Jersey – are somewhat vague regarding provisions for college. They might say that parents agree to contribute, but they rarely state to what extent or exactly how much. This usually results in parents going back to court to enforce and clarify provisions for expenses when college time arrives.


If your judgment is unclear as to exactly how you and your ex-spouse are going to pay for college, you can file a post-judgment motion with the court. This will typically result in a post-divorce trial, called a plenary hearing. During a plenary hearing, the judge will take testimony and review proof of each parent's current financial situation. Ultimately, the judge will decide what percentage of a student's college expenses each parent must pay. Some issues New Jersey courts consider include each parent's ability to contribute and whether your child has achieved grades that make it reasonable for him to pursue education beyond high school. Your child also has an obligation to contribute to his own college expenses by applying for grants, scholarships, student loans, or by working at least part-time.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Possible Defenses

Non-custodial parents often argue they had no voice in deciding what college their child attends. They may be obligated to help pay for a school they don't approve of and can't possibly afford. New Jersey courts have adopted the "Rutgers Rule" to deal with these situations. The Rutgers Rule can limit parents' contributions to the amount of tuition and costs a state university would charge, rather than a private school. For example, if you're enforcing the college terms of your judgment because your child wants to go to Yale, it's entirely possible that the court will cap your ex's contribution at what it would cost your child to attend Rutgers, especially if your ex does not have the ability to help finance an Ivy League education. A non-custodial parent might also argue that he hasn't been part of his child's life in recent years. If the parent has tried to maintain a relationship with his child but the child has rebuffed him, the court doesn't have to uphold or enforce the college provisions of your judgment.

College Costs vs. Child Support

If you go back to court to enforce the terms of your judgment, it may very well affect the amount of child support you receive as the custodial parent. Unless your ex is wealthy and can clearly afford to pay child support and contribute to college costs as well, a New Jersey court probably will not obligate him to do both. If the court orders him to contribute to college costs, this is often in lieu of paying child support. An exception might exist if your child is living at home and commuting to college, but even this must be decided by a judge on a case-by-case basis. New Jersey child support guidelines don't address support for children who have graduated from high school.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Child Support Questions & Answers


Related articles

Legal Implications of Divorcing an Unemployed Husband

If you are divorcing an unemployed spouse, it makes a difference whether his lack of work is voluntarily or involuntary, and a gender bias often exists when the non-working spouse is the husband. Legally, he is entitled to the same considerations as an unemployed wife. However, because many aspects of divorce come down to the opinion of a single judge, this does not always hold true. Some courts view non-working husbands suspiciously, assuming they could work and earn money if they chose to.

Can You Get Child Support Stopped at 18 if a Child Is in Secondary School?

Most states agree that your child has the right to finish secondary school without worrying about supporting himself just because his parents have divorced. Rules usually limit how long he can remain in high school, however, while you support him. State law varies with regard to what constitutes emancipation or the age of majority – the time when a child is legally considered an adult. In most jurisdictions, graduation is a pivotal factor.

My Ex-Wife Is Trying to Gain Custody of Our Children after Our Divorce Decree

Divorce decrees are not necessarily forever, especially regarding custody. Even when parents enter into a custody arrangement by consent and the terms are included in the decree, they always have the right to change their minds as to what they agreed. However, unless both parents consent to the change, modification of the decree requires court approval. Court approval hinges entirely on what is in the best interests of the children and can be difficult to achieve.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Divorce Laws in California Regarding Education & Children

In the heat of divorce, issues of child custody and support are at the forefront of your mind. They must be resolved ...

What Happens If You Don't Follow Divorce Paper Orders?

Depending on your state’s laws, disregarding the terms of a divorce judgment might either put you in jail or out a lot ...

How Often Can You Check an Ex-Spouse's Income for Child Support in North Carolina?

Child support is awarded to a custodial parent to assist with the expense of raising a child. The non-custodial parent ...

Can You Go Back to Court for Custody After You Gave Your Child to Your Spouse?

Parents always maintain the right to go back to court to change custody arrangements after their divorce is final. The ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED