How to Enforce Divorce Judgments in Illinois

By Heather Frances J.D.

Your divorce decree governs many issues between you and your ex-spouse including child custody, child support, spousal maintenance, division of property and division of debt. Both of you are bound by the terms of your divorce decree as it's a court order. If your ex-spouse does not comply with the order, you can ask the court to enforce it.

Child Support Agency

If your ex-spouse is not paying child support as ordered, the Illinois Department of Healthcare And Family Services' (HFS) Division of Child Support Services (DCSS) can help you enforce the child support order in your divorce decree. They can track down your ex-spouse and take measures such as seizing his tax return to pay past due support. Additional measures they can take include seizing his driver’s license, professional licenses and passport until he is current with his owed child support payments.

Contempt of Court

You can also file a petition for contempt of court if you don’t want to receive state help, or if you need to enforce something other than child support. You can use an online legal service to find an attorney to represent you, or you can file the petition on your own. Contempt of court simply means that your spouse has violated a court order. Once the court finds your ex-spouse in contempt, it can then enforce its order. In Illinois, enforcement could include garnishment of wages and even jail time.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Filing a Contempt of Court Case

To initiate a contempt case, file a Petition for Rule to Show Cause with the Illinois court that issued your divorce decree. Your petition must contain information about the contempt, including the portions of the divorce order that your ex-spouse violated. You must also verify that your petition is true and accurate. Along with the petition, you must file a Notice of Motion. The court will provide both of these forms. You must then serve copies of your petition and motion on your ex-spouse, along with a notice as to when your court hearing is scheduled.

Contempt of Court Hearing

At your court hearing, you have the burden of proving that your ex-spouse is guilty of contempt. You must provide sufficient evidence to show the court what portions of the order he violated and how he violated them. Typically, this involves proving that there was a valid court order, that the order required your ex-spouse to do something, that he was aware of the order, that he had the ability to follow the order, and that he purposefully disobeyed the order. The judge will listen to your evidence and your ex-spouse’s version of events before making his decision.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to File a Motion to Enforce Child Support in Texas


Related articles

Can I Sue My Ex-wife for Breaking the Divorce Decree?

Divorce decrees often contain details about property division, child custody, child support payments and alimony, but ex-spouses don’t always fully comply with the terms of the decree. Since a divorce decree is a court order, your ex-spouse may be guilty of contempt of court if she violates it. Therefore, you can go to court and ask for help with its enforcement.

How to Enforce a Divorce Decree Without an Attorney

Achieving a divorce decree you can live with is sometimes just the first part of the battle. Fortunately, the law is set up to allow you to compel your ex to comply with the terms of your decree or judgment, even if he refuses. Your decree is an enforceable court order, so if you reach out to the court, justice will almost invariably be done. It might take some time and effort, however.

How to: Divorce Notice for an Absent Spouse

If you’ve lost track of your spouse and no longer know where he’s living, you can still get a divorce. The law requires that your spouse must receive notice that you've filed for divorce but most states allow you to do this by publication when you can't find him to personally serve him with your paperwork. You'll have to take additional legal steps, but his absence doesn't mean you have to remain married to him.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What Happens When Your Ex Breaks the Divorce Agreement in Georgia?

A divorce judgment or decree is an enforceable legal order. If your agreement is included as part of your decree, your ...

What Happens if an Ex-Spouse Breaks Divorce Decrees in Tennessee?

Tennessee is one of the more unforgiving states when someone defies a court order, including a divorce decree. ...

Illinois Pension Laws for Divorce

Allocating ownership of property acquired during a marriage is a fundamental part of every divorce. If you and your ...

How to Enforce a Breach of Contract in a Divorce

In the process of getting your divorce, you and your ex-spouse may have made an agreement – sometimes called a marital ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED