How to Enforce Michigan Probate Court Orders

By Maggie Lourdes

You can ask a Michigan probate judge to enforce court orders concerning probate estates, trusts, guardianships and conservatorships. A Michigan probate court judge, like all judges, has the power to issue orders to carry out the business of the court. Michigan law also gives probate judges powerful tools to enforce court orders if parties fail to honor them.

Court Orders

A court order is a document signed by a judge requiring a party to take, or refrain from taking, specific actions. For example, a probate judge may order a bank to transfer certain account funds to a court supervised trust. Or, she may order a minor child's guardian to stop traveling with him overseas to protect his health. Court orders are commands, not requests. Therefore, violating a court order can result in serious, legal consequences.

Motion for Show Cause

Generally, enforcement of a court order begins with a party in a case filing a motion for show cause. Motions are requests to go before judges to ask for action against parties who violate court orders. The judge reviews the allegations listed in the motion, and if she believes a violation has occurred, the court schedules a date and time to rule on the matter. The moving party must have a process server, court officer, bailiff, or sheriff serve the motion and notice of hearing on the accused party.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Show Cause Hearings

Show cause hearings are special proceedings conducted by judges when court orders are disobeyed. Judges may enforce their orders by giving violating parties second chances to comply. If parties continue to be uncooperative, or if the judge determines it is appropriate, he can go so far as to send the party to jail to enforce his order. It is important to appear at show cause hearings. Generally, judges issue bench warrants for arrests against parties who fail to appear.

Contempt of Court

Judges can hold parties in civil contempt for violating court orders and hold the violating party in jail until he complies with the order. The judge can also force the party to pay the costs of any damages his violation caused. The case may be referred to the local prosecuting attorney for more serious criminal contempt of court charges. Michigan penalties for criminal contempt include up to 93 days in jail, probation, fines, and a criminal record.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Arizona Laws for Not Following a Divorce Decree With a Child Involved


Related articles

How to Transfer Property Title When Death Occurs

There are different ways to transfer a decedent's property. The way a person holds property title determines the steps for its transfer after death. Sometimes a probate court case must be opened to convey a decedent's property. Trusts and joint ownership with survivorship rights can avoid the need for probate. State laws generally control the transfer of a decedent's property. Therefore, required actions can vary in different states.

Enforcing a Trust

A trust is a legal relationship in which a trustee holds property for beneficiaries, who are the individuals benefiting from the trust. The trustee must abide by the terms of the trust to manage property and distribute it to the beneficiaries. The person who creates a trust is known as the settlor, or grantor. The settlor can also serve as the trustee, naming a successor trustee who will take over for him following his death. Alternatively, the settlor can name someone else to serve as the trustee at the time he creates the trust. A trustee owes certain duties to the beneficiaries -- and the beneficiaries have a right to enforce the terms of the trust and hold the trustee in breach of his duties if he is performs any wrongful acts or omissions that affect their interests.

What Happens If I Can't Make My Child Support or Alimony Payments in Maryland?

After a divorce is finalized in the state of Maryland, the court issues a decree that may order one spouse to pay alimony and child support to the other spouse. Under state law, after a divorce decree is issued, an automatic withholding order is sent to the employer so that alimony and child support payments are withheld from his wages. A parent who fails to pay alimony or child support as ordered may face criminal and civil penalties.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

How to Establish Guardianship for Children in Michigan

Michigan law provides for the establishment of temporary or permanent guardians for minor children. A guardian has the ...

Paternal Visitation & Custody Rights in Michigan

A Michigan father has custodial and visitation rights as awarded by the court. State law doesn't use gender as a factor ...

What Are the Sentencing Guidelines in Michigan for Nonpayment of Child Support?

In Michigan, when a court orders a noncustodial parent to pay child support, he must do so until the child turns 18 ...

What Are the Duties of an Executor of a Will in Missouri?

The law refers to a person who drafts a will as a testator. When a testator drafts a will, he typically designates a ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED