Executor Responsibilities Regarding Minor's Inheritance

By Maggie Lourdes

The primary job of an estate executor, also called a personal representative, is to gather a decedent's assets for distribution to heirs. An executor must complete asset distribution to heirs in an honest manner and within a reasonable time. Turning over inheritance assets to minor children, however, raises extra responsibilities and considerations for executors.

Minors and Inheritances

Generally, the law does not allow minors to directly receive inheritances. An estate executor has a responsibility to distribute a minor's inheritance to a person or entity called a fiduciary. A fiduciary acts in the child's best financial interests by managing the inheritance. An executor has a responsibility to convey the inheritance to the child's fiduciary as soon as court fees and estate bills paid and proper probate notices are made. An executor must also list all property he has transferred to the fiduciary on an accounting form filed with the probate court.


A will that bequeaths an inheritance to a minor usually appoints a conservator to hold the child's assets until he reaches adulthood. A conservator is one type of fiduciary used to manage a child's property. The executor has a responsibility to turn over the child's inheritance to the minor's conservator for safekeeping and investment planning. An executor further has a responsibility to fully cooperate with the conservator in completing the child's inheritance transfers.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Intestate Inheritance

A minor may also inherit assets from a person who fails to leave a will appointing a conservator. An estate that has no governing will is called an intestate estate. If a minor inherits intestate estate property, the executor must request that the probate court appoint a conservator to receive the child's assets. Once a court-appointed conservator is in place, the executor must fulfill his responsibility to turn over the child's inheritance into the custody of the conservator.

Testamentary Trust

Some wills call for the creation of a trust to hold a minor's inheritance. Trusts established after death through wills are referred to as testamentary trusts. An executor who administers a will that includes a testamentary trust for minors must set up the trust and convey the minor's inheritance to the trust's appointed trustee.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
Legal Age to Inherit


Related articles

What Happens if a Minor Child Receives an Inheritance and the Parents Are Divorced?

If your child receives a substantial inheritance while she is still a minor, she must wait until the age of majority to take possession of it. Although many people assume that one or both parents hold a minor child's property until she comes of age, this is only the case for smaller amounts of money.

Legal Guardianship in Alabama

A legal guardianship in Alabama is a court proceeding used to appoint someone to be responsible for the personal well-being of a minor or incapacitated adult. A person under a guardianship is called a ward. If the ward needs someone to manage his property or money, Alabama law allows for the appointment of a guardian of the estate, which in Alabama is known as a "conservator." Depending on circumstances, the same person can be appointed as guardian and conservator.

How to Remove an Executor From a Will in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

A Personal Representative, or Executor, is appointed by the court in a probate proceeding to protect the assets of the estate and to transact business on behalf of the estate during the probate process. The Executor is also responsible for liquidating assets to satisfy creditors of the estate, and to make inheritance distributions from the estate to the heirs and beneficiaries. But what if the Executor makes a decision that you, as an heir or beneficiary, think jeopardizes your inheritance, or that of another heir or beneficiary of the estate? In Massachusetts, the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code, Article III Section 3-611, provides the steps necessary to remove a personal representative in just such a situation.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

Guardian Vs. Custodian of a Minor Child in a Will

A guardian and custodian become necessary in the event a child's parents pass away, leaving assets and an inheritance ...

Leaving an Estate to Minor Children in Connecticut

Connecticut probate law allows you to leave property to anyone, including minor children. However, a minor child won't ...

Can an Under Age Child Inherit a Car Without a Will?

A parent with young children must address numerous estate-planning questions, including naming a guardian to raise the ...

Legal Guardianship of a Minor in Ohio

A guardian must be appointed for a minor under the age of 18 if his parents die or are declared unfit, unless the minor ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED