My Ex-Wife Is Deceased: Who Gets Custody of the Children?

By Ciele Edwards

If your ex-wife wins custody of your children and subsequently passes away, the court will alter the current custody arrangement. Losing a parent is a traumatic experience for any child, and the court's goal in determining custody is to look out for the children's best interests and place them in a stable and loving home. The judge will take into consideration your relationship with the children and your ex-wife's wishes when assigning custody.

Surviving Parent

Courts generally award custody to the surviving biological parent when the custodial parent dies. An exception to this rule is if the court considers the surviving parent ā€œunfit.ā€ State guidelines determining the types of behavior that make a parent unfit vary, but a judge may deny your bid for custody, for example, if you have a history of drug use or child abuse. Another situation in which the court would not award you custody upon your ex-wife's death is if your ex-wife remarried and her new husband adopted your child. A stepparent adoption typically terminates the biological parent's rights, including the right to receive custody upon her death.

Last Wishes

If your ex-wife had a will, her will may stipulate who she feels should receive custody of the children upon her death. Because children are not property, your ex-wife cannot legally bequeath the children to anyone. The court will, however, take her request into consideration when determining custody. If you choose not to accept custody of your children following your ex-wife's death, that does not mean that you can no longer see them. Provided your parental rights were not terminated, you can file for visitation rights and continue spending time with your children regardless of who receives custody.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Child's Preference

Small children are not capable of making major decisions for themselves, such as who they prefer to live with after their mother's death. Older children, however, can decide on their own whether they would prefer to live with you or a different guardian. Each state has its own guidelines dictating how old a child must be before his opinion on his own custody arrangement carries weight with a judge. If your children are old enough to make such decisions in your state and opt for a different guardian, the judge may honor their preference.


In some states, such as California, custody automatically transfers to the non-custodial parent should the custodial parent die. If custody automatically transfers to you, that does not guarantee that the arrangement will go uncontested. If your ex-wife did not stipulate in her will that you should have custody of the children upon her death, or noted her preference for a different guardian, others may petition for custody.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to Determine Who Will Win Child Custody



Related articles

Are Life Insurance Benefits Subject to Probate in California?

Probate is the legal process for administering and distributing the estate of a deceased individual. Typically, life insurance proceeds are not subject to probate in California or in any state. Life insurance policies, as well as retirement benefit accounts, have beneficiary designations to determine their distribution. However, there are exceptions that require life insurance proceeds to be probated.

Transferring California Parental Rights Upon Death

When a divorced parent dies, the existing custody arrangement can cause problems if her family and ex-spouse don't get along. In California, the custody terms of a divorce decree ordinarily become moot with the death of one parent. Custody usually reverts to the surviving parent, but this isn't always in the best interests of the child. Therefore, parental rights and third-party intervention can also come into play.

How to Make My Own Will Free of Charge

Writing your own will is a process that does not need to cost money. If you have limited assets and straightforward child custody plans or no minor children, making your own will free of charge may be an option for you. If you have a complex financial portfolio or your children will require special care or financial arrangements, however, you may wish to speak to an experienced attorney in your state about the details of your will.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help.

Related articles

How to Make a No-Frills Will

By creating a will, you have the power to dictate what happens to your assets after your death. Although contemplating ...

Laws Governing Child Custody in South Carolina

Divorcing spouses in South Carolina who agree on how to split custody of their child are free to come up with their own ...

How Do Grandparents Get Custody of Their Grandchildren in South Carolina?

In certain limited circumstances, child custody can be awarded to grandparents. However, obtaining this arrangement in ...

How to Relinquish Custodial Rights in Tennessee

The decision to relinquish custodial rights is one that can dramatically affect the life of your child. If you are ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED