The Father of My Child Has My Son & Won't Give Him to Me, and Neither of Us Have Custody

By Beverly Bird

If you were never married to your child’s father, you probably have legal custody without realizing it, even if you don’t have a court order. If you were married but have separated, you also have legal custody without a court order. However, even with legal custody, there may be difficulties in forcing your child's father to return him to you.

Unmarried Parents

In most states, if you were not married to your child’s father when he was born and haven’t married him since that time, you have sole physical and legal custody of your son. This is a “presumption,” meaning the law assumes it to be true. You don’t have to do anything to establish custody. A presumption puts the burden on your child’s father to file a petition with the court to establish his own custody rights. In most states, he has no rights unless or until he does this.

Custody and Marriage

If you and your son’s father were married, but neither of you has filed for divorce yet, both of you have physical and legal custody. This only changes if one of you files a petition with the court asking a judge to grant custody to one or the other. Until that happens, the law treats custody of your child the same as if you were still happily married. You both have an equal right to spend time with your son. In most states, this is true even if you didn’t marry until after he was born.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Custody Order

Even though you may technically have legal custody, without a court order, the father's refusal to return your son is not a criminal matter, but rather a family court or domestic relations one. Thus, police really can't do anything for you. You must petition the court, asking it to officially award you custody. Filing an ordinary motion for custody can take weeks. Fortunately, in most states, filing a motion to show cause will hasten things along considerably in an emergency. A judge will usually order your child’s father to appear in court within a few days to explain why he should not have to return your son to you. If you were never married, the judge will probably order your son returned to you immediately until the court holds a hearing to decide the father's custody rights. If you were married, a judge might not return your son to you immediately because both you and his father have equal rights to custody. However, he will still schedule a hearing to decide custody.


The courts in most states take a very dim view of a parent who tries to interfere with his child’s relationship with the other parent. After you file an order to show cause, or a complaint for custody or divorce, make sure the judge is aware of what your son’s father has done because his behavior may work against him in a custody decision. You might have a different judge than the one in charge of your show cause hearing, so it's up to you to give him the history of your case. If you were never married and your child’s father can’t prove you’re an unfit parent, most courts will not award him custody instead of you.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
Father's Rights in a Child's Last Name Change


Related articles

Does the Stepfather Have Rights to a Child If the Father Is Still in the Picture?

If you're concerned what will happen to your relationship with your stepchildren after the dust of your divorce has settled, you probably have good cause. Stepparents don't have automatic rights to custody. This rule generally has less to do with their biological father than with your spouse – if she already has custody of the kids from her last marriage or relationship, she's probably calling the shots now that the two of you are parting ways.

Dad's Rights to Sole Custody

Fathers had few rights in custody battles in the 20th century. That changed somewhat in the millennium. However, the change takes the form of courts being willing to at least consider giving a father sole physical custody, with his children living with him and having minimal contact or visitation with their mother. Fathers still face an uphill battle in actually achieving sole custody of their children.

How to Stop Visitation Rights by the Biological Father in the State of Kentucky

All states require that custody decisions be made according to a child's best interests. Kentucky is one of only a handful of states that specifically itemizes factors judges should consider, including the emotional and physical health of each parent, the child's relationship with each parent, and any history of domestic violence. To sever visitation rights, you must demonstrate that doing so is in the child's best interests.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Does a Father Have Rights Even if the Will Gives Guardianship to the Grandparents?

Fathers’ rights almost always trump grandparents’ rights, regardless of what the custodial parent’s will says. Although ...

The Custody of Kids When Not Married in Mississippi

In most states, when an unmarried woman gives birth, she automatically and legally has sole custody of her child. ...

Can a Parent With Sole Custody Deny Visits?

If you have sole custody, you probably have a court order that awards you both legal custody and physical custody. ...

Rights for Fathers Paying Child Support

Child support and child visitation rights are two separate issues. A father has the obligation to support his child and ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED