How Does a Father Get Custody When the Mother Denies Paternity?

By Robin Elizabeth Margolis

Disputes over custody can hit a snag when a child's mother denies that an estranged or ex-husband or lover is the biological father of the child. In those cases, you may have to file a paternity suit and undergo a DNA test to establish your claim to your child. When celebrity Anna Nicole Smith died in 2007, she was embroiled in a legal contest with her ex-lover, Larry Birkhead, over the paternity and custody of her daughter, Dannielynn. DNA tests showed that Birkhead was Dannielynn's biological father, and he gained full custody of her after Smith's sudden death.

Paternity History

Prior to the development of accurate DNA tests in the late twentieth century, American courts followed the principle that if a man was legally married to a woman and she subsequently gave birth to a child, legally he was the child of his mother's husband. Unmarried fathers had no legal custody rights, though they sometimes gained custody of their children through informal arrangements. For example, founding father Benjamin Franklin brought up his illegitimate son William in his own home. By the late twentieth century, unmarried fathers had acquired legal rights to their children under U.S. law.

DNA Tests

Every cell in your child's body contains DNA, some of which she inherited from you, and some of which she inherited from her mother. DNA testing can therefore help establish paternity. A DNA testing center will take DNA samples from you, the child's mother, and the child, usually cells obtained by swabbing the inner cheek of each person or through other methods, such as taking blood samples. The DNA testing center will match your DNA and the child's mother's DNA against DNA obtained from your child, looking for matching patterns. The tests are 99 percent accurate.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Filing a Paternity Suit

If your child's mother says that you are not your child's biological father, you must prove your paternity before you seek custody. If you are already in court through a custody dispute with your child's mother, you can ask the judge to order a DNA test as part of that proceeding. If you have not yet gone to court, you will have to file a paternity suit and ask the judge to order a DNA test. If the DNA test results prove that you are the child's biological father, you can then ask for custody.

Custody Laws

Whether you intend to ask for shared physical custody of your child or seek sole physical custody, you need to review your state's custody laws and court cases. The Family Law Organization maintains online links to state family law codes. Because each state has its own complicated paternity and custody laws, you may wish to retain a family law attorney to help you with the custody proceeding.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How Do I Get Custody of My Son if My Ex-Husband Is Going to Jail?



Related articles

Dad's Rights to Sole Custody

Fathers had few rights in custody battles in the 20th century. That changed somewhat in the millennium. However, the change takes the form of courts being willing to at least consider giving a father sole physical custody, with his children living with him and having minimal contact or visitation with their mother. Fathers still face an uphill battle in actually achieving sole custody of their children.

Father's Rights in a Child's Last Name Change

A father’s rights with respect to his child’s surname usually come down to the opinion of a single judge. States share some uniformity in procedure, and laws do provide a father with an opportunity to object to a change, but whether he'll be successful generally depends on the particulars of his relationship with his child.

The Custody of Kids When Not Married in Mississippi

In most states, when an unmarried woman gives birth, she automatically and legally has sole custody of her child. Mississippi is no exception. When a married woman has a child, the state presumes that her husband is the father. In legal terms, “presumes” means that it is true until proved otherwise to a court's satisfaction. If the woman is not married, her child has no presumed father. Her child’s biological father therefore has no rights unless he takes steps to correct the situation.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

The Law Against Someone Tampering With a Paternity Test

While there is little doubt to the maternal lineage of a child, the child's paternity isn't always readily apparent. If ...

Father's Procedure in Filing for Child Custody in Missouri

Child custody decisions in Missouri are made according to the child's best interests, and the procedure for both ...

The Rights of Illegitimate Children to Inherit the Estate of Their Deceased Father

Historically, illegitimate children had no real legal rights to their parents' estates. However, in recent years, a ...

Can You Lose Custody by Denying Visitation?

You can lose custody of your child by denying the other parent visitation. Denial of visitation can also result in a ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED