Father's Rights in a Child's Last Name Change

By Beverly Bird

A father’s rights with respect to his child’s surname usually come down to the opinion of a single judge. States share some uniformity in procedure, and laws do provide a father with an opportunity to object to a change, but whether he'll be successful generally depends on the particulars of his relationship with his child.


Before you can object to your child's name change, you must have legal standing to do so. If you were married to his mother when he was born, the law “presumes” you are his father unless or until someone proves otherwise. If you and his mother weren’t married, you can also create this presumption in some states by putting your name on his birth certificate as his father. In other states, such as Texas, if a mother is not married at the time she gives birth, her child has no legal father, regardless of what the birth certificate says. In these jurisdictions, you would have to legally establish paternity to have any rights or responsibilities, even if your child took your last name. Generally, you can accomplish this with a paternity test. If your child’s mother objects to a paternity test, you can petition the court to order one.


A parent must get the court’s permission to change her child’s surname from the one that appears on his birth certificate. If you are your child’s legal father, she must officially notify you that she’s doing this; she can’t accomplish it behind your back. Most states require that she serve you with a copy of her petition or motion to the court. After you receive this, the law gives you the right to object.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More


If you receive notice that your child’s mother is trying to change his surname, states typically require that you file a written objection with the court, detailing your reasons for not wanting the change. When the court receives your objection, the name-change process generally can’t go through without a hearing. If you don’t file a written objection, it’s possible that a judge will assume you don’t care and simply sign off on his mother’s request without requiring an appearance in court. Other states always require a court appearance regarding such issues, so in those areas, you could appear at the hearing and voice your objections in person. If you receive notice that your child’s other parent wants to change his name, contact the court or an attorney immediately to learn your options for objecting.

Court’s Decision

The standards for permitting a child’s name change vary from state to state, but most judges will want to know that your child will benefit in some way from the new name. This puts the burden of proof on your child’s mother to show the court how a different surname will improve your child’s life. If you’ve always been actively involved with your child and you have a close relationship with him, this may be difficult for his mother to prove. If you’ve rarely had contact with him and she wants to change his name to match her name, especially if she’s married or remarried, you might have a harder time getting a judge to side with you. If your child is old enough, judges in some states will consider his opinion.

Get help changing your legal name. Learn More
How to Change a Child's Last Name to My Married Name


Related articles

Got Married & Want to Change Stepchild's Name in Illinois

Blended families that unite stepparents and stepchildren are fairly common. In most cases, stepchildren and their stepparents do not share a last name. A biological parent has the right to petition the court to change the child's surname to match that of his parent and stepparent. Illinois law requires parents petitioning for a name change to demonstrate proof that the name change benefits the child rather than just the parents.

Parental Rights in a Non Married Relationship

Marriage is not a prerequisite to parenthood. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention note that in 2009 alone, a surprising 41 percent of all births were to unwed mothers. For married couples, parental rights are assumed and automatic. While unmarried couples enjoy many of the same parental rights as married couples, the route to establishing those rights is often more complex.

How Does a Father Get Custody When the Mother Denies Paternity?

Disputes over custody can hit a snag when a child's mother denies that an estranged or ex-husband or lover is the biological father of the child. In those cases, you may have to file a paternity suit and undergo a DNA test to establish your claim to your child. When celebrity Anna Nicole Smith died in 2007, she was embroiled in a legal contest with her ex-lover, Larry Birkhead, over the paternity and custody of her daughter, Dannielynn. DNA tests showed that Birkhead was Dannielynn's biological father, and he gained full custody of her after Smith's sudden death.

Doing the right thing has never been easier.

Related articles

Can a Divorced Woman Give Her Child Her Ex's Last Name?

The surname your child carries helps him identify with the rest of his family. Tradition dictates that a woman takes ...

The Father of My Child Has My Son & Won't Give Him to Me, and Neither of Us Have Custody

If you were never married to your child’s father, you probably have legal custody without realizing it, even if you ...

How Would My Newborn's Birth Certificate Be if I'm Not Married to the Dad?

Marriage is not a prerequisite for parenthood. A considerable number of children in the United States are born to ...

Dad's Rights to Sole Custody

Fathers had few rights in custody battles in the 20th century. That changed somewhat in the millennium. However, the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED