How to File an Answer in Child Custody

By Holly Cameron

Each state has its own rules regarding the legal process for custody, but most follow broadly similar procedures. Parents should understand the difference between physical and legal custody: Physical custody relates to where a child lives, and legal custody involves making important decisions for the child. A court can award physical and legal custody to either or both parents. Court rules in all states allow parents the opportunity to file answers in child custody cases. The purpose of an answer is to rebut any statement in the original complaint and to state your point of view regarding custody of your child.

Step 1

Read the documents carefully. When serving you with the opportunity to answer, the court will enclose a copy of the original complaint. It’s best not to respond immediately but to take a few days to consider your answer.

Step 2

Note the deadline for your answer. Most courts will give you at least two weeks to answer the complaint, and you should make sure that you file your answer within the time limit. If you don’t file an answer, you could lose your right to claim custody.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan

Step 3

Formulate your own answer. Most courts will send you a pre-printed form for completion. If not, you can create your own word-processed document. Remember to include the court reference number in all documentation so that your answer can be filed with all other papers. Take your time to do this, as once filed, your answer becomes part of the court process. In your answer, you should respond to any claim made by the other parent. You can also make your own counterclaim, stating your wishes regarding custody.

Step 4

Take advice from a specialized family lawyer if you are unclear about your legal rights. The court can provide you with the names of local lawyers to consult.

Step 5

Complete and sign your answer. Some courts may require that you sign your answer before a notary public and will provide you with the details of local notaries. This is a fairly straightforward process, and the notary public will charge a small fee.

Step 6

File your answer at the court. You can either mail the answer or hand it in. You can ask the court officials to read your answer and check that it has been completed correctly before you file it formally. You may have to make multiple copies of your answer.

Step 7

Serve your answer on the other party. The court can provide you with detailed instructions on how to serve, but in most cases, you can serve your answer either by mail or by hand. For a fee, a registered process server can deal with this for you.

Step 8

Retain a copy of your answer so that you can refer to it in any subsequent court hearing.

Step 9

Consider mediation as a means to resolving disputed child custody issues. Your local family court can provide information on available mediation services.

Protect your loved ones. Start My Estate Plan
How to File a Responsive Declaration For Child Custody


Related articles

In a Divorce Proceeding Do You File for Divorce or Child Custody First?

If you have children, divorce and custody go hand in hand. Filing for divorce automatically addresses child custody issues as well. If you want to end your marriage, you would address custody of the children when you file your complaint or petition for divorce.

How to File for Child Custody in South Carolina

A South Carolina parent can file for child custody as part of a divorce proceeding or, if unmarried, as part of a paternity proceeding. The custody portion of either proceeding is very similar, requiring a petition requesting custody and providing reasons the request should be granted. If the other parent disagrees with your petition, the South Carolina family court orders both parents to try to reach an agreement as to custody, visitation and support. Failure to agree results in the court deciding custody after taking testimony and evidence from both parents at trial.

Filing for Child Custody in Maryland

When parents divorce, the court makes custody decisions and includes them in the final divorce decree. A Maryland court may award joint or sole physical custody, joint or sole legal custody, or some combination of both. Legal custody is the right to make important decisions about a child, such as where the child will go to school or church; physical custody represents which parent the child lives with and takes care of the child's day-to-day needs. If a court gives sole physical custody to one parent, it may also issue a visitation order to the non-custodial parent, allowing him to spend time with the child.

LegalZoom. Legal help is here. Start Here. Wills. Trusts. Attorney help. Wills & Trusts

Related articles

How to Petition for Custody

The best interests of the child is the standard family courts use to determine custody throughout the United States. ...

Answering a Citation of Divorce

Being served with a divorce citation, or summons, often results in hurt and anger. However, you need to keep a cool ...

How to File an Answer to a Divorce Summons

When you receive a Summons and Complaint in a divorce action, you typically have 20 days in which to respond. Your ...

How to File for Child Custody in Los Angeles

Being a parent can be both rewarding and a challenge, especially when dealing with issues of custody and visitation. ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED