How to File for Child Custody in Washington State

By Beverly Bird

Custody of your children can be a major issue before, during and even after divorce. During your divorce process, you may need a temporary order to hold your custody arrangement in place until your divorce is final. After divorce, circumstances may change, warranting a change of custody. Although custody litigation is never easy, the process of filing to initiate a custody decision is relatively straightforward in Washington.

During Divorce

Step 1

Prepare a petition for dissolution of marriage. An online legal document preparation service can help you with this if your divorce is uncontested. Otherwise, Washington is one of a handful of states with an extensive library of legal documents available online from the court’s website. Paragraphs 1.3, 1.14 and 1.15 of the petition are pertinent to custody issues. Paragraph 1.3 simply asks for the names of your children and their ages. Paragraphs 1.14 and 1.15 ask you for information such as whether you and your spouse have ever litigated custody before, and with whom your children have lived for the past five years. On the last page, under Section II -- your requested "relief" -- check the second box, asking the court to approve your proposed parenting plan for a custody arrangement.

Step 2

Prepare a parenting plan. A form for this document is also available on the court’s website. It’s an extensive document, 11 pages in all. Section I asks you to repeat the general information you gave regarding your children in your petition. Section II asks you if you want to restrict your children’s time with their other parent. If so, you must explain why. In Section III, suggest a visitation schedule for when your children will spend time with their other parent, explaining who will pick up and drop off the children and where they’ll spend both major and non-major holidays. Use Section IV to tell the court if you’re willing to share decision-making rights with your children’s other parent -- and, if not, why. In Section V, you must propose a plan for the court regarding how you’ll work out any future custody disputes with your spouse.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Sign your parenting plan on the last page, attesting that you’re presenting it to the court in good faith. This generally means that you honestly believe the plan to be in the best interests of your children. If you and your spouse are in agreement about custody, you can sign the plan jointly and submit it together. Don’t write anything in the last section, Section VIII. This is where the judge will sign when and if he approves your plan.

Step 4

File your petition and parenting plan in the Washington county where you’re seeking a divorce. You can file them simultaneously, or -- if you need additional time to complete the parenting plan -- you can submit the plan after you file for divorce. If you and your spouse file the parenting plan together, the judge may approve it without a hearing. Otherwise, he will schedule a hearing to determine temporary custody until he issues a decision regarding final custody at your divorce trial.


Step 1

Consult with an attorney if you want to change your custody arrangement post-divorce, after it has been incorporated into your decree. Washington courts are reluctant to change custody without a compelling reason, and you’ll probably need firm, provable grounds. An attorney can tell you if your reason for changing custody is something that will stand up in court, such as that you’ve had to take your ex back to court repeatedly because he’s broken the custody terms of the decree, or that circumstances in your ex’s home have changed dramatically and now pose a threat to your child’s well-being.

Step 2

Access a petition for custody modification from Washington’s court website. Complete the petition, explaining the new custody terms you would like the court to order, and why you feel a modification is necessary.

Step 3

Attach a certified copy of your divorce decree or other custody order to your petition. A certified copy is an official copy, which you can request from the court clerk. Generally, you cannot use a photocopy. Sign the petition and file it with the court. If you and your ex agree to a change of custody, you can file the petition together, and the court will usually grant your request. Otherwise, the judge will probably order a hearing.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
New Jersey Petition For Divorce


Related articles

How to File for Child Custody in Georgia

Child custody lawsuits can be contentious and emotionally charged. Before filing for child custody or visitation in Georgia, it's important to think about your child's needs. Except in extreme cases of neglect or abuse, children typically thrive under a joint custody arrangement. In Georgia, the Uniform Child Custody Act of 1978 established statewide standards for child custody proceedings. Each county can institute slightly different procedures, but the goal of protecting children's best interests, and the emphasis on mediation and negotiation rather than contentious litigation, is the same throughout the state. You can file for custody without an attorney, and many Georgia courts provide forms for parents to file themselves. An online document service can also provide you state and county-specific forms. If you plan on taking your custody fight to court, it is wise to hire an attorney who can advocate for you.

How to File for Custody of Children Prior to Divorce in Florida

Florida courts have moved away from using the term "custody" and instead assign either shared or sole "parental responsibility" along with a time-sharing schedule. If you are in the process of divorcing in Florida, you do not have to wait until the divorce is finalized to ask the court to rule on parental responsibility.

How to Obtain Child Custody in New Mexico

If you're divorcing your child's other parent, you not only have to prepare to live separate lives, but you must also figure out how to parent from two separate homes. When you file for divorce in New Mexico, you and your spouse must resolve any and all custody issues before the divorce can be finalized. If you are unable to reach an agreement on your own, the court will step in and make the decision for you, choosing a custody arrangement that serves the best interests of your child.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

What is the Process to File for Child Custody in New Jersey?

Filing for custody in New Jersey is as easy as including the request in your complaint for divorce. From there, the ...

In a Divorce Proceeding Do You File for Divorce or Child Custody First?

If you have children, divorce and custody go hand in hand. Filing for divorce automatically addresses child custody ...

How to Fill Out Divorce Papers in California

Most states make it easy to complete divorce forms, and California is even more accommodating than most. The state’s ...

How to Divorce in PA After Two Years When a Spouse Does Not Agree on Settlement

If you file for a no-fault divorce in Pennsylvania, you can get a divorce in six months if you and your spouse are in ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED