How to File for Custody in Illinois

By Valerie Stevens

The first step in filing for custody in Illinois is to determine if you have the legal right to seek custody. Any noncustodial parent has the right to seek custody of his child under Illinois law. A nonparent, such as a grandparent, can file for custody only if the child is not in the physical custody of one or both parents. In all custody cases, the standard for deciding who can have custody is the "best interests of the child."

Step 1

Verify you can file for custody in Illinois. You can file in Illinois if it is the home state of the child, in most circumstances. The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, which applies in Illinois, dictates which state you can file in.

Step 2

Determine which county in Illinois to file in. If you are filing for custody as part of a divorce, jurisdiction is determined by where you file for divorce. If you are filing under other circumstances, usually you have to file in the county where the child lives. Consult Illinois Combined Statutes Section 750, Part VI Custody, for detailed information on jurisdiction.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Draft a petition for custody or include a request for custody if you are filing as part of another action. A parent can request custody in Illinois in a petition for custody; petition for dissolution of a marriage; petition for dissolution of a civil union, if the child was adopted; paternity petition; or a petition for protection.

Step 4

Include in your petition information about the factors that govern child custody decisions, as detailed in the Illinois statutes. For example, the court will consider the parents' wishes; child's wishes; child's adjustment to her present home and relationship with both parents; one parent's attitude toward cooperating with the other parent; health of all parties; instances of abuse or violence; and whether any party is a sex offender.

Step 5

Obtain and complete a UCCJEA affidavit. State all the places where the child has lived, who else lived there, the primary caretaker in each location and any court cases that involved the child. You can find a sample form by conducting an Internet search or requesting it from an online legal document provider.

Step 6

Fill out a summons and cover sheet, both of which you can obtain from the clerk of court in the county where you are filing. The summons must provide information to the other party about where he should respond to your petition.

Step 7

Make sure your petition is properly verified, which means you sign it in the presence of a notary public or an attorney signs the forms for you.

Step 8

File your cover sheet, summons, petition and UCCJEA affidavit with the clerk of court and pay the required filing fee. Obtain a file-stamped copy of the documents to serve on the other party, as well as a document called an affidavit of service.

Step 9

Serve the documents on the other parent by hiring a sheriff's deputy or private process server. The deputy or private process server will fill out the affidavit of service at the bottom of the summons and return it to you.

Step 10

File the summons with the signed affidavit of service with the clerk of court. Keep a copy so you will have a record of when the other party was served.

Step 11

Request a hearing and wait for the other party to respond within the 30 days allowed.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Petition for Custody



Related articles

How to Get a Transfer of Venue in a Divorce in Alabama

Divorce is always difficult, but especially so if you have to travel across the state to present your case. Many states, including Alabama, limit the counties in which a divorce can be filed. Counties in which the parties have had substantial contacts are said to have "venue." If your spouse files for divorce in an inconvenient or inappropriate county, you can ask the court to transfer the case to a county with venue.

How to File for Custody of a Minor in Mobile, Alabama

Custody disputes commonly arise as the result of divorce or paternity proceedings. The Alabama legislature has enacted laws governing petitions for custody, and custody proceedings are heard by judges in the Alabama family court system. In Mobile, parents must petition the family court in the 13th Judicial Circuit. Before seeking custody of a child, you should ensure that you are able to provide loving, competent care. In most cases, the child will do best if given liberal visitation with the other parent. Except in cases of abuse, children are frequently given time with both parents.

How to File for Divorce in Kansas City, Missouri

Five counties are included in the 319 square miles that make up metropolitan Kansas City, Missouri. State laws govern all issues of divorce, including fault grounds, custody, visitation, child support, alimony and property division. However, the procedures to file for divorce vary slightly from county to county. Depending on the circumstances and which county you file in, you might have to file financial statements, separation agreements, parenting plans and proposed orders when you file your petition. If you hire an attorney, some of this information can be filed later. Whether you file on your own, hire an attorney or use an online document preparation service, the laws are the same in Kansas City as in the rest of the state.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

How to File for Child Custody in Virginia

Virginia has a system called concurrent jurisdiction for handling issues of child custody, visitation and support. Two ...

How to File for Divorce With Children in Georgia

The state of Georgia offers a divorce process for couples without minor children and one for couples with minor ...

Filing for Physical Custody in Virginia

Both parents and Virginia courts are primarily concerned with what is in the best interests of the child in a divorce ...

What is the Process to File for Child Custody in New Jersey?

Filing for custody in New Jersey is as easy as including the request in your complaint for divorce. From there, the ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED