How to File for Divorce With an Ad in the Newspaper

By Tom Streissguth

Although state residency requirements vary somewhat, if you are seeking a divorce, you must typically file a petition for dissolution of marriage in the county where you live now, or where you lived as a couple. If you are unable to find your spouse, or your spouse is avoiding service of the petition, you can “serve by publication,” meaning you officially notify your spouse in a newspaper.

Step 1

File for divorce according to the laws of your state and the rules of the clerk of court. In practice, this means submitting a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and a filing fee, either by mail or in person, at a clerk’s office. The clerk will issue a summons that requires a response from your spouse.You must attempt to serve the petition and summons on your spouse, who has a statutory period of time in which to file a response.

Step 2

Attempt service of the petition and summons on your spouse. If you are unable to carry out service, file a declaration with the clerk that you have exhausted all efforts to locate your spouse or serve your spouse with the petition. You must give your spouse’s last known address and the attempts you have made at carrying out service, either by law enforcement or a private process server.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More

Step 3

Obtain an order for publication from the clerk. In most jurisdictions, the order must be signed by a judge. Ask the clerk for a list of approved publications, which will include a local newspaper, which serve as official media for legal announcements. The basic idea of publication is to legally declare the divorce to your spouse through a printed announcement, even though your spouse may already know of your intention.

Step 4

Contact the appropriate newspaper -- the newspaper that's available where you believe your spouse to be residing -- and arrange for publication of the summons issued by the clerk. The paper will charge a fee for publication at its classified advertising rates. The summons will be published in the want-ad section under “Legal Notices” or a similar heading. State law determines the minimum duration of publication.

Step 5

Obtain a proof of publication form or affidavit from the newspaper, and file this form with the clerk. The statement should list the dates of publication. Attach a copy of the published petition and summons. The clerk will then schedule a hearing so that you may proceed with the divorce case, obtain a final judgment and legally terminate your marriage.

Divorce is never easy, but we can help. Learn More
How to Serve Divorce Papers


Related articles

Self-Divorce With an Absent Spouse in Kentucky

In the state of Kentucky, anyone seeking a divorce from a missing spouse may file for divorce by publication. In these cases, state law requires the court to appoint a warning order attorney who is tasked with the responsibility of locating the missing spouse. This procedure allows the courts to grant a divorce without service of a divorce summons, which is otherwise required by state law.

Is There a Public Notice for a Divorce in the State of Virginia?

When Virginia spouses divorce, both have an opportunity to be involved in the process, and mandatory notifications from one spouse to the other ensure that neither spouse can get a divorce in secret, hiding from the other spouse. However, a spouse wishing to divorce sometimes cannot locate the other spouse, so the filing spouse can publish an Order of Publication to use newspapers to give notice to the missing spouse.

How to File for a Divorce When the Other Party Is Not Available in Pennsylvania

If you are seeking a divorce in Pennsylvania, but are unable to locate your spouse, you must follow the state’s procedure for divorce by publication. The process takes some extra steps to ensure you’ve made a good-faith effort to locate your spouse; otherwise, the basic court forms and procedures are the same as when you file a typical, simple divorce.

Get Divorced Online

Related articles

Florida Divorce Laws With a Missing Spouse

When you are unable to locate your spouse, you may still obtain a divorce under Florida law, but it takes some extra ...

How to Divorce an Illegal Immigrant

Illegal immigrants have almost the same legal rights as citizens in the U.S. -- at least with regard to marriage and ...

How to Get a Default Judgment for a Divorce in Kentucky

Kentucky is a no-fault divorce state. Parties do not have to allege any particular fault in their divorce complaint ...

How to: Divorce Notice for an Absent Spouse

If you’ve lost track of your spouse and no longer know where he’s living, you can still get a divorce. The law requires ...

Browse by category
Ready to Begin? GET STARTED